[Asrg] C/R Interworking Framework

2003-05-19 10:17:25
Ok, this is still a framework document..not to be considered a proposed
draft...just a tumbleweed.  If this initiative progresses, then I'll format
it and discuss with the chair about proposing it as a draft.  Until then,
it's intentionally left in it's current unambiguous form.

The scope keeps narrowing down from a C/R system model to a C/R system
interworking model.  I'm happy with that.  In fact, I believe there is still
more fat to trim..but we'll get there.  In the spirit of Kee Hinckley's
signature quote, less is more.

I am not interested in placing restrictions on C/R systems...I am interested
in having them interoperate..and even more so in having them interoperate
automatically. If vendors can't find smart ways to implement systems using
the guidelines we propose then they won't be vendors for long.

There were some questions about the size of recipient email addresses:
RFC2821 says 64 char for username, 256 char for domain and 512 for the
command line is 512 chars..though MIME doesn't have such
restrictions..except 1000 chars for line...regardless..there isn't a
problem..

-Eric