Re: [Asrg] C/R Framework

2003-05-16 21:02:01
I confess I've been playing catch-up, so I may have missed this (although I'll put in a plug here for Eudora 6 Beta's ability to present a summary of a conversation with all the quoted text elided--incredibly useful).

I've seen two issues going by on C/R. One is where the response goes (normal email reply, or delivery notification reply). And the other is dealing with mailing lists.

My gut says that C/R is a delivery notification. But the problem is more complicated.

I'm not so worried about mailing lists. What worries me is what happens when Amazon sends me an out-of-stock notice and I send a C/R to the envelope from. What are the odds that it's going to be treated as a bounce, and I get taken off their list?

Commercial "transactional" email worries me more than mailing lists. It's not just that the mail's more critical, but updating it to some new standard is harder. Those systems are largely homegrown, whereas lists tend to use standard software and/or services. Lists are easier to change to a new standard.

Thoughts?
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/          Junk-Free Email Filtering