Re: [Asrg] 6. Solutions - Replacing SMTP - GIEIS Analysis

2003-07-05 21:24:48
This post relates to the 'GIEIS' system.

Version 0.005 - Updated 6th July 2003

GIEIS - Global ISP Email Identity System - The Ultimate Anti-Spam System
a.k.a. - The Digital Reaper

\xA9 Including intellectual copyright, Mark McCarron 2003, All rights reserved

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/giza.necropolis

Mark McCarron

From: Yakov Shafranovich <research(_at_)solidmatrix(_dot_)com>
To: "Mark McCarron"
<markmccarron_itt(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com>,asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [Asrg] 6. Solutions - Replacing SMTP - GIEIS Analysis
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2003 22:39:27 -0400

Message: 14
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 14:08:57 -0400
To: asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
From: Yakov Shafranovich <research(_at_)solidmatrix(_dot_)com>

As many group members have noticed in the last few days, Mr. McCarron has
been posting a large volume of messages to the list regarding the GIEIS
system that he is developing. The following is my analysis of his proposed
system and how it falls within the consent framework (current draft at
http://www.solidmatrix.com/research/asrg/asrg-consent-framework.html). All
quotes are from (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/giza.necropolis/).

---------
ANALYSIS

The GIEIS system seems to be a convergence of two proposals: message
tracking and centralization. Message tracking has been proposed by John
Fenley as part of the C/R protocol and other proposals (callback, etc.).
Centralization is not new but is similar to the other proposals on the list especially Walter Dnes's "Business Email" proposal. This is also similar to the proposal by someone else who suggested registration of all SMTP servers
and perhaps issuing digital certificates to them.

Mark's Response:

No. 'GIEIS' is a completely new architecture and protocol design for web based communications. It is not similar to issuing digital certificates. 'GIEIS' creates an additional layer in the net and a buffer for communication protocols from end users. By securing this inner communications layer with a centralised system based on encrypted communications it eliminates any fraudulent access.

What is essentially being created is a centralized system combined with messages tracking. The details are implementation.

Mark's Response:

No.  Please refer to the 'GIEIS' homepage and study the proposed system.

SUGGESTIONS TO MR. MCCARON

1. Take all the BS out of your proposal and separate the main idea from the
implementation details.

Mark's Response:

Please detail the 'BS'.

Anything not related to email. All the parts about port scanning, viruses, saving children, creating jobs, etc. are extra they can be detailed in the implementation details and marketing materials. This group is concerned with technical details and a concise technical draft is what we are looking for.

Mark's Response:

'GIEIS' is a complete solution to many issues including spam. Spam is also not an 'email only' issue.

2. Stop thinking that your system will take over the Net - any system
implemented will need to accommodate multiple implementation details. You
will be better off on proposing a system like Truste.

Mark's Response:

'GIEIS' would be the center of the net for completely accurate information of various kinds. A commercial body could never secure the Internet, it must be a public body. No one needs another cert. authority what they need is a corner-stone behind the Internet that can be trusted. American business is losing $10 Billion a year to spam if we used even £2 Billion on wages alone we could have a staff of over 130,000 people at £15,000 per year dedicated to the fight against internet fraud.

Look at ICANN - its non profit - and then look at IcannWatch.com. Also, we are looking for a concise technical document, marketing materials are irrelevant - they just confuse.

Mark's Response:

Technical details are available at the homepage.

3. CREATE A SEPARATE mailing list or discussion area for your proposal
where you can work out the kinks like the SPF proposal's author did. Then
present us with a draft.

Mark's Response:

Here will do just fine. 'GIEIS' has no 'kinks' to work out. Its a complete working system. The overview is being drafted in public from compiled notes on the system. Special focus has been given on areas of concern and thus developed at a faster rate. The GSMTP protocol is now under development.

There is no need to carry the discussion on this proposal within our mailing list. Please create a separate list for discussion. When you have written a concise technical draft without all the marketing BS in it, then we will take a look at it. Otherwise, this is just a waste of CPU cycles.

Mark's Response:

No one is asking you to look at anything.

4. Participate in defining the consent framework.

Mark's Response:

The consent framework will consist of white and black lists. There will be no greylisting. A complete opt-out will be allowed by 'GIEIS'.

The group's consent framework is what we are currently working on.

Mark's Response:

With all the self-interested posts that appear here with inaccurate information, a coherent consent framework is highly unlikely to develop.

5. Give credit where its due, when you use someone's idea - give credit.

Mark's Response:

Credit will be given where credit is due, however, the 'GIEIS' architecture is unique.

Yet there are numerous proposals being lumped in the current proposal which were not there in the original v.0.0.1 proposal and clearly come from our mailing list. If you want to use someone's idea from the list, give credit.

Mark's Response:

Nonsense. v.0.001 onwards is a compliation of notes on the system. Aspects will appear as documentation is written.

Mark McCarron.