Re: [Asrg] 3. Requirements - Non Spam must go through

2003-07-10 04:43:31
I'll say from my own experience that addresses are removed only if they bounce at the MTA level. I tried this by "sniffing" what was going on to my MTA. When I killed an account and watched I noticed that it did slow down though it took over 6 months! I believe the problem is that when the address is on the "CDROM" or list spammers buy/sell you are on it until the list gets updated and sold. But this is merely speculation.

What I can also tell is that I have two accounts - one public and one very private. The public one gets spammed all the time. The private one hasn't ever gotten a spam message. The private one I use to communicate with friends, business people, etc. The public one is used on netnews (yes I know...talk about advertising!), lists such as this one and general postings. That one gets spammed all the time.

Chuck Wegrzyn

Jon Kyme wrote:

>   And it's been going up by a factor of at least 2, every year, for
about as long as I've had the domain. This is the future of email for
everyone.

I don't see how that follows, but I can't prove that you're not right.
Take a random domain with a random number of addresses. Eventually they start getting spam. Two things happen. First, no matter what your churn, the addresses that got spam will continue to get more--even if they stop existing. Furthermore, over time typos, screwed up alphabet attacks and other factors will cause more and more non-existent addresses to get spam. It always grows. It never shrinks.

It certainly seems that way, but all we actually know is that
it *has* always *grown*, it *has* never *shrunk*.

This is begging the question rather. Are addresses ever removed from
spammers lists? Will they ever be? Is there an economic argument for the
list producers to "improve the quality" of their lists? Will there ever
be? What are the effect on list dynamics of current and future anti-spam
deployments? legislation?

I guess this would come under "understanding the problem".

Although somewhere.com is behind striker on the curve (only 10 million bounces last year), I've also been seeing the factor of two progression for the five or six years I've been tracking it.

These are exactly the sort of numbers that someone should be collecting
(and aggregating). I'm not denying the truth of anyone's observations. It's
just that the predictions are also based on some assumptions about spammer
behaviour - which I don't know much about.

"I can't prove you're not right" = "not falsifiable right now" (time will
tell).

Regards,
JK