Re: [Asrg] 3. Requirements and what is spam

2003-11-18 09:13:24
johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com (John R. Levine) wrote:
Any anti-spam technical proposal should start by saying as
specifically as possible what abuse it's intended to prevent or
combat.  The various LMAP proposals, for example, appear to me to be
intended to detect forged domains in e-mail return addresses.

  The various proposals, and the LMAP dicussion document define
exactly what problems they're trying to solve: forgery of names in
EHLO/HELO, and MAIL FROM.

  The worst cases of such forgeries (from a monetary view) are "joe
jobs", and the "please send us your account information" messages.
I'm hesitant to call them "spam", because the abuse of email is a side
effect of the underlying criminal behaviour: fraud.

  Other forgeries are caused by worms and viruses.  I'm also hesitant
to call these "spam", as the abuse of email is a side effect of the
underlying criminal behaviour: a desire to infect machines.

  Messages related to businesses asking people "please buy from me"
fall more obviously into the "spam" category, IMHO.  The LMAP related
proposals do nothing to prevent these messages, and the proposals are
not intended to prevent these messages.

  So to a large extent, the LMAP proposals don't deal with spam.  They
deal with preventing and/or tracking down criminal behaviour.

  Alan DeKok.