Re: [Asrg] 3. Requirements and what is spam

2003-11-18 12:00:33
the charter of this group - did so.

http://www.irtf.org/charters/asrg.html

I have. The charter simply notes the problem defining spam and punts on
the
problem.

Exactly - it punts on the problem to the *recipient*, which is of course
where the decision should be made.

[snip]

Fair enough. Established order has spoken and dissension is unwelcome.
The
message is clear, and I will act accordingly.

Ooh - I've never thought of myself as the establishment before.
This question has been dealt with on a number of occasions (by the chairs
and others). The point is that we're not really here to talk about "spam",
we're here to talk about how one might enable recipients to deal with what
*they* call spam. This will (I'd guess)include considerations of what
recipients call spam, i.e. the definitions (emphasis on plural) that may be
used.

Regards,
JK