Re: [Asrg] 3. Requirements and what is spam

2003-11-18 17:38:41
Yakov Shafranovich wrote:
My latest attempt is:

"A message is spam if it was sent without the justified expectation that the recipients (however many) are willing to receive it."

[snip]

<snip>
For most working discussions, the term "Unsolicited Bulk Email" is sufficient.
<snip>

Your definition is basically another way to say "unsolicited". If I do not want it, its another way to say that it was unsolicited. That is the point that the charter of the group is addressing - consent based communications arises from the concept of solicited and unsolicited email, or consent and non-consent.

I think Marc's definition tries to be inclusive of both explicitly given consent, such as a confirmed mailing list subscription, and consent implicit in, for example, receiving an individually addressed email from someone previously unknown to you but containing content you wish to receive. Note that the latter is unsolicited but the intended recipient would be willing to receive it.

--
Philip Miller