Re: [Asrg] Spam, why is it still a problem?

2006-01-17 20:23:02
certainly with the various solutions being discussed it should be
fairly straightforward to reject email from problem domains outright
(DNS RBL) or downgrade the trustworthiness of said machines if they
do not meet certain criteria. As a first step, this would allow spam
filters to have a threshold set to block such mail.

I can't help but get the impression that you have not been investigating
the details of proposals like SPF and DKIM in much detail.  If it were
easy to track the "trustworthiness" of the millions of machines on the
net, don't you think we'd be doing it?

There are a number of proposals moving forward (slowly). Each of these
will help. However I don't see much in the way of actual project
management of this. Who is driving these proposals - what is their
marketing plan to ensure wide take up? Where is a discussion of the
problems bringing them to market? What is the expected timescale for
having these proposals widely available? Where is the business element
in the proposals ? Who argues the case for these proposals versus vendor
specific ones? Where is the viral campaign ala Firefox to get 100
million people using them in a year (even 10 million might be a start).

Nowhere that I know of.  So we all thank you for offering to do all
this important work.

R's,
John