Re: [Asrg] Spam, why is it still a problem?

2006-01-18 15:46:12
At 8:53 PM +0000 1/18/06, Craig Cockburn wrote:
<x-flowed>In message
<20060118175425(_dot_)39732(_dot_)qmail(_at_)simone(_dot_)iecc(_dot_)com>, John Levine
<asrg(_at_)johnlevine(_dot_)com> writes
Sender ALLOW
Remove sender from Allow list -->

https://www.vqme.com/pk/eh?op=remove_from_allow&From=asrg%2Dbounces(_at_)ietf
.org&VU=bCnsahfkMSAuP8lpCMGeUQ
Block sender -->

https://www.vqme.com/pk/eh?op=block_sender&From=asrg%2Dbounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org&
 >VU=bCnsahfkMSAuP8lpCMGeUQ

What is that and what is it doing in your message? I can't see it in John's, although your quoting implies that it was there.

 >>>Nowhere that I know of.  So we all thank you for offering to do all
this important work.

The point is that if this is important enough why is it not a funded
position?

Um, who do you think should be funding it?

It's not about who should be funding it but simply that it is important
enough that it should be funded.

Cart before horse.

Identify *WHO* it is "important" to. They are the ones who need to be persuaded to fund it. Funds don't fall from the sky.

 >As I presume you know, the entire IRTF is run by volunteers.  The ASRG
budget is $0.

Therein lies the problem. Perhaps some sponsorship would make things
move more quickly?

Alternatively working with other independent  bodies that are funded
would provide indirect support, such as
http://www.opengroup.org/

A consortium of commercial IT companies, funded by those companies, which largely works for their member companies' interests. Not evil, but maybe not a great model for something intended to be truly open.

http://www.eff.org/

Political activist groups focused on the spam issue have not done well. EFF has taken de facto pro-spam positions in the past and probably isn't the best example of a group to work with in an anti-spam project.

CAUCE seems a better choice. I expect John could describe its funding situation in detail in a very short note if he was so inclined...

These organisations get funding. Why can't this one?

Which organisation is it exactly that you are speaking of?

--
Bill Cole bill(_at_)scconsult(_dot_)com