Re: [Asrg] Re: Spam, why is it still a problem?

2006-01-17 03:31:02
Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
Stop expecting. Learn to live with social problems like we live with a
lot of other social problems. Only in engineering people ask for
perfect solutions. The real world does not work that way.

That is the single issue I can't agree with you on.

Living with social problems is critical, we need to keep living.

Accepting them?

Why should I accept murder, rape? Or perhaps even just smallish-time stuff?

We should always strive for betterment, and I believe the guy asking the question meant it in a non FUSSP fashion, i.e.:
How do we explain to the END USER why there is still spam?

I am not sure I am the most qualified here, but I'd attempt something like:
1. Engineering solutions to problems are not always perfect, but they help bring them to manageable levels (if you employ them). Are you employing anti spam solutions?

-- How can a user distinguish good from bad? In the anti spyware industry a user may just end up infected.

2. Spam is *ALSO* a social problem, and therefore needs to be dealt with at a social level as well. Are you writing your congressman to ask for new and improved anti spam legislation? Have you been in anti spam demonstrations? :)

Hmm, I am not sure what would be other, or BETTER suggestions for an answer, but maybe we should come up with these? Unless somebody already did?

        Gadi.