Re: [Asrg] Re: Spam, why is it still a problem?

2006-01-17 16:46:48
In message <43CCC3B6(_dot_)40706(_at_)linuxbox(_dot_)org>, Gadi Evron <ge(_at_)linuxbox(_dot_)org> writes

Why should I accept murder, rape? Or perhaps even just smallish-time stuff?

We should always strive for betterment, and I believe the guy asking the question meant it in a non FUSSP fashion, i.e.:
How do we explain to the END USER why there is still spam?

I seem to have started the most active discussion this list has had in a long time and I'm glad that the replies so far have been quite constructive.

I'm not suggesting any FUSSP. However I am suggesting two things

1. That a lot more can be done with what we know

2. That if we accept the existing infrastructure is ultimately inadequate then the plan to get us onto the next infrastructure needs to be worked on, published, communicated and marketed in order to get wide acceptance.

Some examples to back up 1.

This group looks defunct, the news site has had nothing for 2 years
http://asrg.sp.am/about/news.shtml
The best practice subgroup folded in 2003
http://asrg.sp.am/subgroups/bcp.shtml

Best practice is essential to ensure that we are clear about what we want and don't want. e.g. no challenge-response.

Once the best practice is established, a review of current anti-spam vendors could be undertaken and published and only those conforming to best practice would be recommended. People would then have informed choice and independent advice on tools on market, further encouraging best practice amongst the other vendors. (analogy is the Consumers Association publishing reviews of consumer products and rating them but in the UK the market leading Dyson vacuum is consistently refused a "best buy" recommendation because according to the CA it fails to meet their minimum standard for reliability).

Can anyone here list for instance the top 10 tools by market share for
1. Businesses wishing a corporate in house solution
2. ISPs wishing an email hosting solution and
3. Individuals wanting a POP3/IMAP based solution
and of these which conform to the best practice (and I don't know what this is as there isn't a current version here http://asrg.sp.am/subgroups/bcp.shtml) If we have to think about this, how does the rest of the Internet community decide? I did find this, is there anything more concise or relevant from a casual end user perspective?
http://mipassoc.org/spamops/draft-hutzler-spamops-05.txt

Having then promoted and encouraged best practice we can then enjoy more benefit from the technologies we already have.

Moving on then to the next stage, if these technologies are still deemed inadequate because of false positives or an unacceptable quantity of spam (+ phishing + viruses and worms etc) arriving then a global upgrade of email in some form needs to happen. Whilst I'm not denying this is a difficult job I don't think it's quite as hard as people make out. Especially for those people who find their legitimate email blocked they could easily be persuaded to join in some form of sender reputation based framework as there's something in it for them. e.g.
http://mipassoc.org/dkim/specs/draft-allman-dkim-ssp-01.txt

Crucially by having this funded and developed as open source, the Internet community at large would be able to download it for free and there could be a market for add-ons and commercial services on top of it. Look at the success of 100 million downloads of Firefox in a year. A public momentum which allows personal users to download their own anti-spam next generation software independent of what their ISP chooses to do would build its own movement in much the same way that the growth of Firefox seems to have greatly reduced the number of websites saying "Internet explorer only".

It would be useful to actually see a roadmap of where we imagine things going in terms of the optimal solutions *this group* recommends and the expected time-frame to implement them and the actual delivery mechanism for these to ensure wide take up e.g. marketing strategy, platform availability, and so on. Who if anyone is currently project managing this effort and if such a person is needed would a task not be to fund such a post? Is a mozilla.org equivalent for spam what's required here?

Craig

p.s. Please don't reply to me AND the list. Once is enough thanks.
--
Craig Cockburn ("coburn"). http://www.SiliconGlen.com/
Please sign the Spam Petition: http://www.siliconglen.com/spampetition/