Re: [Asrg] Quarantines and block lists

2007-01-29 05:42:10
[comment #1]

Subject: Re: [Asrg] Quarantines and block lists

Lost Email is any email that is sent but not presented to the user and does not generate a DSN to the sender.

The problem is, in the case of spam as in the case of viruses or worms, determining WHO the TRUE sender actually is. It is safe to presume that it often is NOT the person listed in the From: header.

Therefore, I think we should note under "good practices" that it is NOT "good practice" to return ANY indication (after the original SMTP-time, and thus it's pretty much limited anyhow to just going back 'one' level) regarding mail blocked either as spam, or mail blocked because it contains worms or viruses. In both cases, I believe we MUST presume that the true sender will not be accurately determinable. To send ANY kind of a bounce message back is likely to create more harm than good, probably just haranguing another innocent third party.

Spammers COULD even use the expectation of the generated 'bounce' message to reflect the bounce message, along with the copy of the original message, on to the always-intended third party, but this time the E-mail "originating" at the system that bounced it.

When referring to a receiving system loosing email it is assumed that the sending system is following standard procedures.

It is a safe bet that spam and viruses/worms seldom IF EVER "follow standard procedures".

While spamtraps and valid user lists are helpful sometimes, they will not trigger if the spammer is using "fresh" E-mail address lists which are also devoid of spamtrap E-mail addresses.

Is there evidence that spammers have 100% spamtrap free lists? Where are they getting their addresses from and why can't we seed spamtrap addresses there?

Well, I believe that a lot of addresses are harvested from active Yahoogroups and other such mailing lists. Trying to "seed" spamtrap addresses there (via postings) would probably also generate legitimate replies to such posts.

Certainly not all spammers use "fresh" and valid lists but IMHO it's poor form to imagine that NONE do.

IP address blocking, again, is simply too crude. A further and more serious problem is that you have basically no way to be 100% sure of who the "sending IP" actually is.

For just one example, Yahoogroups

That's obviously a non-starter. Yahoogroups is a subscription based service. A valid spamtrap would not be subscribed to any group (unless it was designed to catch spammers harvisting group addresses in which case it would take special precautions to exclude group related emails from the spamtrap reports).

The point is that NON-spamtrap addresses get mail through Yahoogroups, and where you can't tell much or anything about where the E-mail actually originated. So do you block Yahoogroups servers by IP address?

And if you don't do anything about Yahoogroups-forwarded spam, then you're leaving a gaping hole through which a large quantity of spam can be sent.

Let's DO agree that it's probably not feasible to do much of anything about spam contained within a "digest" (and we ought to recognize, at least, the problem of antispam contact detection triggering based on one message within an otherwise good digest of messages). But it would be desirable to try to handle effective spam detection for individually forwarded Yahoogroups messages.

Again, IP-based detection blocking is nowhere close to viable for such cases.

Or let's say that Aunt Gertrude's machine gets infected by a worm, which starts sending out E-mails using Aunt Gertrude's account at the ISP, via the ISP's mail server. Are you going to block everything coming from that mail server? What if it is a VERY large ISP? Obviously, it would have been nice if that ISP's outgoing mail rules had caught the messages, but in this case let's recognize that they didn't.

Spam has to be stopped somewhere. But read the full set of proposals... If a site has never received email from that IP before it would quarantine the first emails from that IP as in proposal #1. The automatic spamtrap network would generate an advisory that the IP is sending UBE. Then depending on the reputation of that IP from all sources the site would choose to a: continue the quarantine, b: accept the email and possibly apply additional filtering or c: reject the email from that IP.

I know that a lot of folks here seem to have a strong emotional commitment to the basic concept of IP-based blocking, but as unpleasant as it is to accept, that is simply NOT a very good approach.

If the source is emitting a sufficient volume of spam this happens before the initial probation period expires.

Again, that's part of what I said about spammers engineering their mails so they squeak under whatever threshold is established to trigger spam alarms. That can be done on content, sending rate, or any other generally/widely used criteria.

So I've forced the spammer to send less spam. This I call progress.

No, you've only forced them to send it at a lower rate from probably more different locations.

ULTIMATELY what convinces them to send less spam is because it becomes unprofitable to do it, because virtually none of it reaches its intended destination. As long as it's profitable to try, they can be expected to continue.

That's one reason why it's SO critical to put the kibosh on viruses and worms that recruit the spambot armies... that makes it harder to proxy the spam transmissions and diversify the origin points. Slamming the door on HTML and attachments from unknown senders puts a MAJOR brake on that, literally overnight, and in a way that is very difficult to circumvent in any widespread way.
I think a form of flood distribution through a mesh of peer nodes would be more robust. The distribution would feed local databases that could be queried directly or through a DNS front end. The mesh can handle data from multiple sources and needs no central authority.

And how do you propose to prevent worms from targeting and flooding or doing other Denial of Service attacks on that mesh?

What port and IP address is the worm going to target? You won't know unless you've talked with the admin of that node and even then you might have a private port that only you know about. And even if you do manage to take out one node (or a dozen) the mesh survives and routes around the damage.

That depends, of course, on how widespread the 'damage' is. Again, I think that blocking spambot army recruiting is critical to reducing the severity of DoS attacks like this.

[snip]

2. Do you know what a response code in SMTP is?

Yes. But if the incoming SMTP transaction is coming from an intermediary MTA, existing intermediaries frequently will try to generate a bounce E-mail (to what they (often wrongly) believe was the sender) based on their inability to forward a mail message to its final destination, and that frequently does more harm than good.

3. I never "bounce" anything.

Good, I wish that (at least for spam/worm cases) nobody else did either.

The determination to quarantine email while waiting for additional information to become available or the possibility that the sending site will clean up the spam first should be easy to make. Are you perhaps referring to the rules for implementing proposal #2?

Again, I don't consider IP address (at least not by itself) a good basis for determining what is and is not spam.

Apart from (as previously noted) the problem of determining after the fact with any real accuracy just who the "sending server" actually is, particularly for multi-hop mail deliveries. It's easy enough to forget that not all E-mail deliveries are simple user->ISP->ISP->user transfers.

First you have the intranet delivery on the sending side

        user-> (users ISP internal servers) -> Sending MTA

Then you have the internet delivery

        Sending MTA ----> Receiving MTA
or
        Sending MTA ----> (open relay) ---> Receiving MTA

And finally the intranet delivery on the receiving side

Receiving MTA -> (receiving ISP internal servers) -> destination

I am only concerned with the internet delivery. Anything else the ISPs can handle on their own. So all internet email deliveries are simple ISP->ISP transactions.

Let me give you an example of why that's overly simplistic.

sender -> sender's ISP MTA -> recipient's vanity domain's mail forwarding MTA -> recipient's "real" ISP receiving MTA -> recipient

(and of course, there could be multiple such levels of intermediary forwarding, or things like Majordomo servers involved too).

Vanity domains that provide mail forwarding are just one example of a way that intermediaries enter into a mail delivery chain. Aggregators/forwarders like Yahoogroups are another.

If the vanity domain allows you to create hundreds or thousands of forwarders to addresses you don't own to make it look like a spammer site it deserves to be blocked.

That's not the question. The issue is that it forwards the mail (and let's presume for now that there is only one vanity domain forwarding taking place) to the receipient's ISP's MTA, which doesn't like it for whatever reason and sends back an SMTP rejection. Now, what does the vanity domain mail server do with that? They can't (presumably) send it back to the MTA *they* got the mail from; that SMTP transaction is most likely long over. Generally what happens (unfortunately) is they try to send back the warning as an E-mail message, and that turns out to be a Really Bad Idea.

Second point is that if the recipient ISP sees that it got spam or a virus forwarded through the vanity domain forwarding MTA, IP address blocking probably tries to block the vanity domain forwarding agent, because the receiving ISP's MTA can't reliably determine who the original sender was.

that can be done with a 5xx on the next delivery attempt instead of sending a bounce.

And what if the next E-mail coming from that IP address is legitimate, non-spam E-mail?

If the decision is to reject all mail coming from that IP

(which, again, I will insist is simply NOT practical).

then returning the 5xx response will cause the sending MTA to generate a DSN that will be returned to the legitimate sender.

And, again, THEY cannot be 100% sure who that was, once the original SMTP transaction they received is completed. Most typically, they try to send an E-mail back to the From: address, but for spam/virus rejections, that address is almost never valid.

If the sending ISP is on their toes an offending user or host will be shut down quickly and the remaining mail will be delivered when the block advisory is lifted or expires.

And what happens to their legitimate outgoing mail in the meantime?

It sits in the quarantine until the block advisory is lifted and then gets delivered normally. Nothing is lost except for some sleep by the admin on duty for the sending ISP.

If the "sending ISP" (or company) is huge, and the spam or virus mail they occasionally send is frequent enough, the result is that they have frequent major delays in mail delivery, or even suffer serious and relatively permanent "e-mail constipation".

Local whitelists can be used to allow mail to bypass the quarantine.

That's fine, but (again) I believe that traditional, simple "whitelists" are not nearly adequate. I believe that a viable whitelist MUST comprise a recipient/sender pair of addresses, AND additional criteria regarding what the recipient expects to receive from the sender in question.

More to the point, once THAT is done, I believe that IP address blocking becomes essentially superfluous (and indeed, COUNTER productive).

None of my proposals say "block" anything. I say issue advisories in proposal #2, some users might want that information.

I claim that a user (or ISP) who did not actually send the mail that is attributed (wrongly) to them virtually never gets anything of value of receiving a lot of complaints about the counterfeit use of their E-mail address.

I propose quarantining email when it's looking suspicious. The sending ISP knows where the email came from which is something that the receiver cannot know in all cases.

The sending ISP only knows where it CLAIMS to have come from, much of the time. And nothing absolutely guarantees that that address is even still online. It's one thing to catch a problem during the SMTP transaction, but much more problematical to try to report it back after the fact.

If anybody is going to decide that email is spam it is the sending ISP that has the best information to make that decision.

I disagree. If the ultimate determination about whether the mail is unwanted or not is made by the RECIPIENT (and that's what I believe is the ONLY person who can decide that) then the sending ISP is NOT in the position to decide.

Proposal #4 provides the one key piece that the sending ISP doesn't have to determine that their user is sending UBE (aka spam).

If you as an ISP are offered these free tools to help control spam emanating from your network are you going to say "no thanks, we'll just send the spam and let everybody else clean it up"?

So what do you propose they do with things that say "this is spam, we won't accept it" that are bogus? That's what I've seen happening here, where Yahoogroups gets a bogus 5xx message that mail to "me" hard bounced (because it contained a virus, usually) and as a result, they block ALL mail from getting sent out to me until I realize what happened and manage to reset things. Of course, I have NO control over the problem. (And they don't either, really... but at least they shouldn't consider a mail account hard bouncing just because of the CONTENT of ONE message that 'hard' bounced).

[comment #2]

To begin with, crude IP blocks will ALWAYS lose legitimate mail, because a single IP address can send both legitimate and zombie-generated mail.

We've been using the spamhaus dnsbls for several years and I can't remember a single false positive. IP adresses which send legitimate mails are simply not listed there (or if they are, there are so few of them that it's indetectable).

You're trying to pretend that a zombie prevents all legitimate mail from being sent out from that same IP address? So that it's a binary "spamming/not spamming" machine?

If your argument is that the zombies are not using the commandeered machine's habitual upstream MTA, then I'll claim that spammers could trivially change their approach to do that.

Then, IP-based blocking either blocks (or doesn't block) ALL the E-mails originating from that MTA.

It is true that they aren't sufficient, but they reduce spam by quite a bit (they're by far the most frequent reason for a permanent error) with
practically zero false positives.

I believe that a good sender/recipient pairing mapping to a fine-grained permissions list is FAR more effective and satisfactory, with FAR less collateral damage to legitimate mail. And besides, it is FAR harder for spammers and viruses/worms to circumvent and evade such a robust restriction. I believe that to be SO effective that IP-based blocking becomes (at least in most cases) superfluous.

I don't know why you insist that they would have to list a single IP address which sends both legitimate and zombie-generated mail. Just look
at spamhaus and you can see that this is false.

Are you claiming that both spam and non-spam can't be funnelled through the same IP address?

Just one excellent counter-example is a small company that has their inhouse outbound mail server behind a NAT router (this is the case, in fact, for one of my consulting client companies). If one of their other inhouse workstations ends up being infected by a worm, that infected machine could start to send either spam, or virus propagation messages, and those messages will also carry the IP address of the company's NAT router.

[comment #3]

Please don't answer mails from different people in different subthreads in the same mail. Your mails are already too long, and an argument is hard to follow if the answer the content of one mail is in the answer to
a different mail.

I agree that it's suboptimal, but otherwise it is cumbersome to split a large message digest into individual fragments to allow quoting those messages for separate replies.

I don't know of any GOOD solution for that problem, but am open to ideas. (Approaches that I otherwise might find practical are limited by the Webmail system I'm presently using).

>(1) I'm shopping at a major retailer's website and decide to sign up >for their newsletter. What happens if the confirmation message uses >HTML content (not uncommon)?
Obviously, it SHOULD NOT use HTML content,

But it does. And if you're a small ISP or IT department and your users can't get their newsletter, guess who they'll blame?

Given a choice of controlling spam, or the irresponsible use of HTML being sent to users who might not wish to deal with it, I think that being a little more nuanced and disciplined in the use of HTML is a small price to pay.

You or the major
retailer?

To some degree, it's obviously a problem of educating the user of what you're doing, and (more importantly) WHY you are doing it.

If enough users make the decision, the 'large retailer' will clearly learn that they have to change their behavior at least slightly. But that's not a bad thing.

And what's more likely to change? The way you filter mail or
the way the major retailer sends their newsletter?

I guess it depends on whether you want to control spam effectively, and how important that is to your users.

I happen to think that's pretty important to a large percentage of users.

You can do that if you're the DoD. The DoD recently banned HTML and they can get away with it, because almost everyone they exchange mail with is more interested in talking to the DoD than the DoD is talking to them. If the DoD doesn't get your mails, that's your problem, not
theirs.

I think that as more people become aware of the costs of HTML (bulk, risk, etc), a lot fewer people will be willing to pay the price of it.

for the simple reason that said retailer CAN NOT be certain that the person asking to be on their newsletter list is able to handle (or
WANTS to receive) HTML-burdened mail messages.

He doesn't care. 99% of his prospective customers can handle it, and they will be enticed by the pretty pictures. He can afford to lose 1%
(who are probably the more critical customers anyway).

I'm not suggesting that they can't use HTML in (at least the 'pretty' version of) their newsletter. Just that they need to send at least one plain-ASCII-text confirmation mail to the user FIRST, to negotiate the agreement to accept HTML in subsequent E-mail messages.
>Assuming that the confirmation and the newsletter come from the same
>source, that is, which also is not always the case.

True, although if that is recognized as important to legitimate mailers, they can certainly correct such questionable behavior.

That "questionable behaviour" is pretty much standard, and there are
good reasons for it.

Well, there are some "pretty good reasons" for greater discipline. If we are going to get a serious handle on spam, viruses, and worms... then SOMEONE is going to have to change behavior AT LEAST SOMEWHAT. The objective should be to make that process as rational and painless as possible, commensurate with efficacy.

>(3) My biggest customer is a giant corporation which requires its >employees to use Microsoft Outlook and to attach a vCard-like >signature to every email, using a background stationery and having an >image of the company's latest logo because they're engaged in a major >rebranding initiative. Not surprisingly, they have massive turnover, >so the people there who send email to a variety of people at my >company changes every several weeks. Who's responsible for upkeep of >all of those individual agreements to exhange HTML with each other?

Again, the recipient could presumably set up a "catch-all" whitelisting which would enable selected E-mail HTML features and selected attachment types from any user at a given company's domain. For example, allow (hell, even REQUIRE) V-card attachments or JPGs for mail from that domain, but (for example) not allowing scripting, executable attachments, or ActiveX.

Yes, he could. But he doesn't want to.

Well, ultimately, it's all about choices, isn't it? You can give people an effective spam filter, or you can allow them to turn it completely off. At least if you OFFER it, they can't then bitch about the spam load they're getting if they CHOSE to not use it.

I've had some spam filters at some ISPs that were SO terrible that I turned them off and decided to do the filtering myself instead.

But you know the old adage about leading a horse to water.

At least this proposal WOULD BE EFFECTIVE (and with less collateral damage than the IP-based solutions that so many folks here seem to like) AND would block nearly all worms and viruses (even new ones) which isn't the case for these IP-based approaches. AND it's not got any huge "gotchas" that force people to turn it off, like so many other basically-unusable filtering schemes are afflicted with.

It's not his job to worry about
which types of content a certain user (which he not even know) might
send to him in the future.

Fair enough. But spam has become annoying enough to enough people by now that I don't think most of them would be terribly averse to helping guide a "smart" filter so it would effectively recognize and block spam... especially if (as they do so) they see an immediate and very noticeable payback for the investment.

>The only way your techniques can work effectively is if >you assume that >the recipient is getting very little spam. I don't think it's particularly volume-sensitive... other than the fact, of course, that ANY system could conceivably be flooded by a sufficiently determined DoS attack.

It's a DoS attack on the user, not on the system. The user has to look at the mails, decide whether they are legitimate, which of their features he wants to accept from that sender (and whether "that sender" means only that particular address, or the whole domain or something in
between).

Again, good software can determine what features need to be accepted to allow "mail like this" to be added to the allowable characteristics for the current sender.

Some users will tweak things more precisely than others will.

A large subset of users will probably find that the default filtering rules are perfectly acceptable for the great majority of their incoming mail.

[users receiving large volumes of mail]

I don't see why my approach won't handle such cases with ease.

That guy has to scan through 4000 messages each day to check if there wasn't one which he did want. Maybe not every day, but at least every
time he suspects that a mail might have been blocked.

To some degree, that's going to be true for ANY filtering scheme. At least he has the mail to look at... if it was blocked by IP address, he can't go look for it, since it's not on his (recipient) system at all.

Some people will look for false positives, some won't. Some people will go to the effort to "tune" their filters to the best and most effective degree of accuracy, and others will run with the defaults. That's to be expected.

>>Introductory E-mails should NOT automatically presume the desire or >>willingness of the recipient to receive HTML-burdened E-mails.
>
>But if all spam were indistinguishable from >"introductory e-mails",
>where are you then?

No worse than at present.

Depends on what you define as "better" and "worse". You will get less spam (about 50% less, I would guess from looking through my spambox), but you will also get less legitimate mail (I don't know how common HTML mail is on average - that seems to vary a lot).

Yes, it does. And there's nothing inherently wrong with HTML mail (other than its 3-5x greater bulk) IF you're able and willing to deal with it. But senders ought not to PRESUME that EVERYONE feels that way.

And BETTER, since the "no attachment, no HTML" default rule would seriously cripple zombie spambot army recruitment.

Only if it is widely adopted. Which it won't be, because the early
adopters will have to deal with severe problems.

I don't consider that a fair or accurate statement. Early adopters can phase in the filtering, perhaps by starting with a relatively liberal default rule which is tightened as the whitelist is developed. Again, that's an issue of the implementing software. It doesn't invalidate the principle.

>The XBL, for example, is _extremely_ reliable at >detecting compromised >end-user machines. All by itself it will block 70-85% >of all spam. Fine. But it also blocks LEGITIMATE mail coming from those machines, right?

There is no legitimate mail coming from those machines. Maybe a message or two for every million messages being blocked. Probably less.

I've already given a case earlier in this message of why that can't be counted on, or at least why we shouldn't base our antispam defenses on such 'lucky behavior' over the long term. I won't repeat that example again here.

>By it's very nature it doesn't list real MTAs (eg: ISP >smarthosts). What if the spam is sent through ths "smarthost"? You might claim that's not being done today, but nothing prevents spammers from doing that.

Then there is an ISP to complain to and the ISP knows which of their users has a compromised machine and can do somthing about it.

And that's fine for small ISPs who can call a user (maybe). Bigger ISPs with millions of users (especially where thousands or tens of thousands of their users could be infected) will find that kind of detailed followup/uninfection to be an extremely costly and time-consuming problem.

Big dot-com companies (Yahoo, Ebay/paypal, etc) almost universally have terrible customer service if you ever have to talk to a real HUMAN there. And that's not only just demonstrating that they don't CARE... it's a huge problem for them.

If the ISP
doesn't do something about it, he may find that some may refuse to accept mail from him or apply more stringent filters to it. But that
doesn't have anything to do with the XBL.

Again, it's a very blunt instrument to do IP-level blocking. We can simply do a LOT better.

You are assuming that IP-based reputation is used in an all-or-nothing way. It isn't. There is more than one list, and just because an IP address is or isn't on a specific list doesn't mean that all mails from this address are rejected or accepted. It is one criterion among many.

I consider that other criteria should carry more weight, then, and IP address carry much less weight.

>Subject: Re: [Asrg] Re: bounces, and anti-spam >principles

>>[how users configure their whitelist rules]
>>
>>>The problem being that out of the 60,000 seats here, perhaps less >>>than 10 of them are able to competently configure a set of rules >>>like what you have. >> >>That's a software implementation issue, not an inherent >>problem in the approach. I envision a button to click >>on > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ >I guess that's the main reason why your ideas aren't met with wild >enthusiasm here. You "envision" that this would be simple to build >and to use, but it's not even clear that you have even built a >prototype which you use yourself, much less deployed the system for >"ordinary users", which aren't quite sure what an "HTML mail" is, and
>have never heard about an "ActiveX component".

I've built and have used portions of what I propose. Obviously it will work best if the proposed default rules are widely used.

As for "deploying it for ordinary users", I think I could make the same claim regarding all these DNS-based proposals that y'all are so fixated on.

No, absolutely not. Apart from not being fixated on "DNS-based proposals" (if anything, I'm fixated on bayesian filtering), I see two very important differences here: 1) DNSBLs like Spamhaus' SBL+XBL aren't "proposals". They have been operational for years and their strengths and weaknesses are well-known.

Straw man. If existing approaches were satisfactory, then we don't have a problem and we're all wasting our time time.

If on the other hand we are going to do things DIFFERENTLY than they have been done before, then we should EXPECT that that new approach hasn't been implemented yet.

The fact that it hasn't been fully implemented yet doesn't mean that it's not promising.

Lots of things are designed and discussed and debated for a long time before the first working one is actually built. Large passenger aircraft are one example.

I probably wouldn't go to the trouble to do a full customer-ready version of such software if it were just only me going to use it. But Airbus wouldn't build the A380 if there were only going to be one of them, just as a Honda Accord wouldn't be practical to design and fully engineer if only one person were going to have one, either.
2) The user has absolutely nothing to do with them. I can simply enable them on a system-wide basis and be confident that I will maybe have to deal with one complaint every few years.

By the same token, a large group of users will be content with default filtering and default content ("SpamAssassin") filtering. Some will care enough, and choose to tweak those. Many will not. At least the ones who CARE to do so CAN do so.

Again, good software implementation doesn't have to depend on users
understanding those details

I doubt that. In real life users get mails with "advanced features" all the time and if they have to decide whether they can safely enable them they need to understand them.

Do you understand how your automatic transmission in your car works? What percentage of drivers do you imagine do?

If enabling a relatively more dangerous feature (say, executable attachments), the software presumably should issue some pretty dire-sounding warnings about why the user maybe shouldn't do that... just to counter pfishing-type exploits where they try to convince people to release the safety. (We saw some viruses/spam trying to do that, a few years back, telling users to please enable scripting and telling them how to do it... but I haven't seen any spam like that in quite a while now.).

I predict that the average user will
either have configured that system to accept anything from anybody
within a week or give up on email entirely.

If the software is well-designed, then I'd take on that bet with you. :-)
I don't think where things fall on that particular equation are especially relevant to whether the approach would be a good one for more widespread adoption. :-)

It is irrelevant whether it "would be good". User's simply won't adopt it. Period. It will ask them questions they don't understand twenty times a day, so they will resort to either clicking "yes" all the time or "no" all the time.

Again, that depends entirely on how well the human-engineering of the software is done. Some companies traditionally do a bad job of stuff like that, but doesn't mean it can't be done right.

As a result they won't get the mail they want and they will still get mail they don't want. In addition they will feel dumb because they don't understand all those questions, and they will be angry at the computer (it should handle that stuff without asking stupid questions) and the IT staff or ISP (it's their job to handle that stuff). A week later the system will be shut off again and the poor guy
who thought "it would be good" will be fired.

I'm sure that's what the spammers would wish.

But the fact is that it will be MORE effective at blocking spam, nearly 100% effective at blocking worms and viruses (even previously unknown ones that no antivirus program identifies) and still give the user the ability to improve the detection to the degree they wish (or not, if they prefer).

Given the major improvement in spam reduction that is possible, the people who OUGHT to be fired are those naysayers who choose to instead pursue costly, compex and elaborate technical schemes which ultimately and predictably CAN NOT solve the problem as well.

>So Uncle Bob will see that a mail from Aunt Matilda was blocked >because it contained an "executable attachment". Since he wants to >get mail from Aunt Matilda (and Aunt Matilda is a nice lady, she >wouldn't send him anything bad, would she?) he clicks on "allow >E-mails like this from the same sender in the future". Oops!

Presumably he could tell from the rest of the content in the mail message that it really didn't look like E-mail from Aunt Matilda.

To do that he has to read it. What good is an anti-spam scheme which
requires me to read all my spam?

Well, to begin with, it will block nearly all HTML and attachment-containing E-mail from people you don't know.

I agree that some folks, especially initially, or those who get relatively small amounts of spam, will get a "warm and cozy" feeling by checking their quarantine/block folder to see what was filtered out (at least they CAN, which generally isn't the case in IP-type blocking). As they develop more trust in the system, and get it more tuned, or as they get more spam end up in the reject bin, they'll probably come to trust its judgement and just dump that bin unread more and more often.

During the phase-in period, there will be more "training" taking place (both of the software, AND of the users!). That's to be expected.

[comment #4]

Subject: Re: [Asrg] Re: HTML-burdened email

(I don't know how common HTML mail is on average - that seems to vary a lot).

It's _very_ high here. Corporate likes their HTML and attachments.

That's fine, and I don't suggest that it never be used.

I do think it's impolite (at best) and presumptuous to send HTML E-mail to people without first determining that they are able and willing to accept mail in that format.

ESPECIALLY given the numerous ways that HTML hugely facilitates the task of spammers to get past antispam content filtering.

Accepting HTML ONLY AFTER negotiation from specific senders strikes me as a very small price to pay if it hugely reduces the spam problem (and it can).

Solving the spam problem DOES require some changes. The trick is to make those changes both reasonable, and effective.

[snip]

1) DNSBLs like Spamhaus' SBL+XBL aren't "proposals". They have been operational for years and their strengths and weaknesses are well-known.

And default recommendations in many packages. Such as SpamAssassin.

In part, that's because SpamAssassin has a nearly impossible job to do if it has to deal with things like text-as-image (whether attachment or embedded), HTML, ActiveX, and such. Once attachments, scripting, and HTML are excluded, SpamAssassin can be FAR more accurate and effective.

So it is understandable that they would suggest IP-based filtering to help for those more difficult cases.

It might even be the case that IP-based filtering MIGHT still be a valid component even with a first-stage fine-grained sender-based whitelisting. Although I personally believe that by that point, IP-based filtering will be mostly redundant.

...In real life users get mails with "advanced features" all the time and if they have to decide whether they can safely enable them they need to understand them. I predict that the average user will either have configured that system to accept anything from anybody
within a week or give up on email entirely.

If we tried that here, the average user would be screaming at me why
their filters weren't working.  Or working too well.

I do expect that such filtering would be phased in during the initial period, rather than being turned on suddenly and abruptly.

What good is an anti-spam scheme that, after you've seen the one good html email from Aunt Matilda, blindly delivered you the virus her machine sends the next day? Or the spam forged in her name?

That's why you don't just enable ALL HTML, or NO HTML. Aunt Matilda isn't likely to do scripting, ActiveX, or other elaborate HTML features. She might use fonts, color, boldface, stuff like that. These all-or-nothing whitelists are, indeed, almost useless because they end up getting turned off.

It's unlikely that one would EVER allow receiving EXECUTABLE attachments from Aunt Matilda (indeed, most users would never enable receiving executable attachments from ANYBODY, at least if the software is sufficiently dissuasive).

The spam forged in Aunt Matilda's name would have to know WHOSE name to forge to get past MY filter, and MOREOVER would have to look "enough" like her mail that it didn't get filtered out (and it's likely not feasible to decide just what those criteria are for a given recipient). It's a very winding, narrow gauntlet the spammers/virus authors would have to navigate through.

I believe that most of them won't be able to do that very successfully.

Gordon Peterson
http://personal.terabites.com
1977-2007 Thirty year anniversary of local area networking