Re: [Asrg] New draft draft-irtf-asrg-bcp-blacklists-01.txt

2008-03-31 07:51:53
On 2008-03-31 08:55:02 -0400, Andrew Kirch wrote:
SM wrote:
At 22:29 30-03-2008, Douglas Otis wrote:
Automatic expiration for automated lists?  Well, we know that 8 years
isn't long enough.  I don't know what it should be.  20 years?

The DNSL operator is free to have an expiration of 20 years.  This
draft is a BCP.  It's up the operator to determine whether they wish
to follow it or not

Speaking as a DNSBL operator it'd be easier if the BCP were set up such
that we can follow it rather than having to explain to each and every
twit who wants to play lawyer why we don't follow it.  If this is to be
a set of best common practices lets ensure people can use them.  (this
really should go without saying)

I think that "best current practice" should be exactly that: *Best*
current practice, not the lowest common denominator. It is expected that
some or even many will have to change their operation if they want to
conform to BCP, and some may find it unfeasible or not worth the
trouble.

I don't really see the problem with this point, though. At least one of
the authors is of the opinion that for a list which explicitely
documents the responsiveness of the provider as a criterion,
periodically checking whether the provider has responded conforms to
this point:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/asrg/current/msg13420.html

(Personally, I would add that the DNSBL maintainer should also
periodically check whether the netblock still belongs to the same
provider)

I would expect that a manually maintained list has a lot more problems
with "2.2.3.  Removals SHOULD Be Prompt".

        hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | It took a genius to create [TeX],
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR       | and it takes a genius to maintain it.
__/   | http://www.hjp.at/ |    -- David Kastrup in comp.text.tex