Re: [Asrg] Email Postage (was Re: FeedBack loops)

2008-11-17 16:44:25

On November 17, 2008 at 11:25 d(_dot_)wall(_at_)computer(_dot_)org (David Wall)
wrote:

Identities are infinite and free.

Sadly, this is somewhat true, but SPF and DKIM work on domain names, and
they typically aren't free.

Hah! The new term you need is: domain-tasting

This has been a big issue in that playground.

Basically, for simplicity's sake, virtually all registrars let you
cancel an order for a domain name in I think it's 5 days.

THIS IS NOT AS SIMPLE AS YOU THINK AND IS RELATED TO...oops, sorry for
shouting just wanted to save you typing back the obvious...related to
settlement charges with ICANN and so on, business models, established
business models which didn't anticipate this kind of abuse, how
unusual for the net (NOT!)

Well, what did that lead to? Orders of 5,000 or 10,000 domain names at
a time which are then cancelled w/in 5 days, no charges, all highly
automated.

A lot of it is done by these folks who park web pages at all those
addresses, see how much traffic they get, and keep the ones which
should be profitable by that measure (personally I don't have a big
problem with that so long as they pay their freight and are otherwise
honest but apparently a lot of people do and see it as inherently
unethical.)

But it's also an open channel to near-infinite, free domain names for
the less than savory (by that I mean spammers, phishers, politicians.)

Why? Go read the ICANN minutes on this, there's probably hundreds of
pages of discussion and let me tell you: Not one of those people
involved in the discussions (well, not many at all) is either dumb or
evil.

Some structural changes have already been made to begin counter-acting
this practice but it could take a coupla-few years to get under
control. Some of it is the business model shock and awe problem, some
is moving software, some is remaining issues and counter-issues with
some future details.

Assuming a domain name seller acquires
payment for the domain, there's is a financial trace possible when
necessary.  And if the payment is fraudulent, the domain name seller has
an interest to fix that loophole.  While subdomains can be done for
free, they are tied to a domain that again has a reputation to protect
or is traceable if used repeatedly.

To be sure, it ain't easy, and getting worldwide adoption of prepaid
postage is likely harder.

Well, all I can say is you're completely wrong on the first part as
I've just described and referenced, so what can we conclude about your
other advice? The world doesn't work as you expect, what a surprise!

Maybe you need to get a little more aware of what's actually going on
before running vast global simulations in your head for us. It's all
online and free but you have to do a little work.

         http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_tasting

--
        -Barry Shein

The World              | bzs(_at_)TheWorld(_dot_)com           |
http://www.TheWorld.com
Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Login: Nationwide