Re: [Asrg] A paper/project worth considering (found it!)

2008-12-15 06:31:21
Chris Lewis wrote:
Rich Kulawiec wrote:
What I'm arguing (and I've argued this elsewhere) is that it's not
the role of end users to set anti-spam policy (in whole or in part)
any more than it's their role to set firewall policy.  It's not their
job, and they're terrible at it.

I don't think many would argue against that.

I would, for one.

There is a number of documents about user rights, in categories ranging from general human rights, through electronic treatment of data, to email specifically. Many of them establish very reasonable concepts, some of which are newer than the SMTP model. How are users supposed to exercise their rights? When we target anti-spam issues, I'd say users may exercise their rights by setting the options in the anti-spam policy that are provided for that purpose.

Here's an example: I had a group of users who kept their email addresses almost secret, but occasionally my server rejected some legit messages sent to them via a blacklisted provider (before I could whitelist it.) Thus, they wanted to skip DNSBL checks, and I made it optional. What's wrong with that?

In general, the reliance of a reputation system is not an objective datum. I'd invite ESPs to let users choose which authorities they wish to trust. It is part of the anti-spam policy, which is different from the firewall policy: _their_ mail, _my_ server.