Re: [Asrg] A paper/project worth considering (found it!)

2008-12-17 16:48:50

On December 17, 2008 at 12:00 vesely(_at_)tana(_dot_)it (Alessandro Vesely)
wrote:

Yeah, I guess there is a lesson to be learned: countermeasures don't
bring any real advancement. To avoid getting stuck in the trenches
that we built that way, we should apprehend and surmount the system
weaknesses that spammers exploit. For example, implementing some of
the requirements of the various privacy laws may be a step toward that
goal.

I'd love to hear from some spammers on some of this, like specifically
how the introduction of certain anti-spam technologies actually
affected their business (as it were.)

That's something really missing in all of this discussion, any input
from (perhaps former) spammers.

All we see is the blind change (mostly positive) in volume and some
change in its character over time.

Something we have almost no input about is how these various spam
technologies affected spammers.

We can guess or extrapolate wildly but my guess is that the view from
the horses' mouths would be surprising and illuminating.

I know, hesitancy of real or former spammers to participate due to
legal or personal safety -- I'd volunteer to help with anonymization
or other concerns...I *KNOW* you know where to find me :-)

--
        -Barry Shein

The World              | bzs(_at_)TheWorld(_dot_)com           |
http://www.TheWorld.com
Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Login: Nationwide