Re: [Asrg] A paper/project worth considering (found it!)

2008-12-24 20:11:20

On December 24, 2008 at 12:52 meta(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com (mathew) wrote:
On Dec 17, 2008, at 15:45, Barry Shein wrote:
I'd love to hear from some spammers on some of this, like specifically
how the introduction of certain anti-spam technologies actually
affected their business (as it were.)

That's something really missing in all of this discussion, any input
from (perhaps former) spammers.

I can't think of many people it would be more pointless to seek
opinion from, than those who we *know* lie habitually and steal from
others for a living. Psychotics who don't respond to medication,
perhaps?

They may be crazy, but they got YOU runnin' on a treadmill, and a
billion others.

After many months of vicious discrediting and back and forth, for some
reason I spent some time on this 15 years ago, I once took a bunch of
holocaust deniers out to dinner.

It was actually quite enlightening.

Like, I found out most didn't believe a word they were saying, one
just had a grudge against some ex's jewish divorce lawyer or similar
nonsense, another got a kick out of getting a rise out of people and
was willing to work hard at it, etc. Some were quite obviously crazy,
and I don't mean that in the schoolyard sense, more in the clinical
sense, crazy, really, barely on the outside.

OTOH I have spoken on the phone to some famous deniers, some were
downright spooky is all I can say. One guy was playing a game where
he'd put out outrageous stuff to bait people, newspapers into a libel
lawsuit and he and a lawyer friend would shake them down for a quick
$100K or thereabouts to settle out of court.

Not everything is what it appears. Actual information is more useful
than armchair bluster.

--
        -Barry Shein

The World              | bzs(_at_)TheWorld(_dot_)com           |
http://www.TheWorld.com
Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Login: Nationwide