Re: [Asrg] A paper/project worth considering (found it!)

2008-12-15 12:19:08

On Dec 15, 2008, at 3:31 AM, Alessandro Vesely wrote:

Chris Lewis wrote:
Rich Kulawiec wrote:
What I'm arguing (and I've argued this elsewhere) is that it's not
the role of end users to set anti-spam policy (in whole or in part)
any more than it's their role to set firewall policy. It's not their
job, and they're terrible at it.
I don't think many would argue against that.

I would, for one.

I would too. The defining characteristic of objectionable email
is that recipients find it objectionable. ISPs block mail that
recipients find objectionable or (much more rarely) causes
them operational problems.

So, by that definition, recipients drive mail filtering policy.

(anti-spam policy is a very vague and broad term, I'm assuming
Rich is talking about inbound mail filtering).

The fact that competent ISPs can extract extremely useful and
accurate data to drive filtering policy from many data points
where less experienced and informed admins at small outfits
find something wrong with the very, very small and biased
samples of that data they see shouldn't surprise anyone.

That some people are using the tiny, biased samples they
have of the data to drive a broad argument based on the
accuracy of the whole population isn't very surprising either,
but it is a bit of a disappointment that that basic flaw is being
displayed in a research group.

Cheers,
  Steve