Re: [Asrg] We don't need no stinkin IMAP or POP, was Adding a spam button to MUAs

2010-02-06 15:57:04

On Sat, 6 Feb 2010, Chris Lewis wrote:

John Levine wrote:
Make the ARF reporting address a configurable option, but default it to a role account at the email domain of the machine from which incoming mail is obtained.

Now it's not opt-in by the mailstore provider.

We need to have it self-configuring if the mailstore provides the service. Which either means a standard role account for it, or, some way for the mailstore to tell the UA what address to use.

If a fixed role account is impossible, consider that dhcp already includes a standard way to distribute smtp, pop and imap host names, so adding the ARF reporting address wouldn't be completely out of character for dhcp. I don't know if any clients respect the dhcp MUA configuration data, though.

Daniel Feenberg