Re: [Asrg] We don't need no stinkin IMAP or POP, was Adding a spam button to MUAs

2010-02-06 16:54:34
This is a common way to set up a mail system for hosting services.  So
you tell me, which approach is "simpler"?

1) If you have thousands of email domains, then perhaps they are generated
   mechanically, and a small change of code would create thousands of MX
   records.

Nope, they aren't.

2) There is always the wildcard, at least in Bind, which would make it a
   one line change.

Could you give an example?  Keep in mind that your wildcard needs to
cover subtrees of several thousand arbitrary domains whose names you
don't know.

3) The existence of a handful of sites where implementation would be work
   is hardly a reason to make additional works for millions of sites with
   a single domain.

Could you provide pointers to data that show that a) most mail systems
handle a single domain, and b) there are millions of mail servers?  As
far as I know, neither of those are true.

4) The resistance to adoption will come chiefly from MUA vendors.

Could you explain why that would be the case?  I believe the most
popular MUAs are Outlook, whatever Outlook Express is called these
days, and Thunderbird.  All have provisions for third party plugins,
so even if the vendors were opposed to providing a button (and I see
no reason to think they would be), that doesn't preclude providing
buttons anyway.

R's,
John