Re: [Asrg] We don't need no stinkin IMAP or POP, was Adding a spam button to MUAs

2010-02-06 12:10:44

On Feb 6, 2010, at 9:29 AM, Chris Lewis wrote:

John Levine wrote:
Make the ARF reporting address a configurable option, but default it to a
role account at the email domain of the machine from which incoming mail is
obtained.
Now it's not opt-in by the mailstore provider.

We need to have it self-configuring if the mailstore provides the service.
Which either means a standard role account for it, or, some way for the
mailstore to tell the UA what address to use.

IOW: pure user configurable doesn't do that.

In-stream configuration (via MDA or MTA) would work, but it requires the
MDA/MTA be modified.  Which we're avoiding.

It requires the ability to add a header, for basic usage a constant header.
That's a trivial configuration change, nothing more.

(And it avoids all the nasty heuristics people are discussing entirely, while
providing way more flexibility).

We've been talking about using DNS for some of the signalling.  You could
specify a "_report.<mailstore hostname>" TXT record that specifies the
address (which isn't necessarily in the mailstore's domain) to send it _and_
its very existence shows that the mailstore provider supports the
functionality (and thus the TiS button gets enabled).

Now, if the TXT record doesn't exist, we could suggest that the user could
set their own abuse report destination.  But I'd rather not get into a
situation where the user overrides the mailstore's explicit choice.

Cheers,
  Steve