Re: [Asrg] Adding a spam button to MUAs

2010-02-08 05:50:37

--On 6 February 2010 00:13:50 +0000 John Levine <johnl(_at_)taugh(_dot_)com>
wrote:

Fine with me. But you really should learn about MX records - they are
very useful and have been standardized for many years now.

Thanks, we're familiar with them.  Perhaps you might want to
familiarize yourself with section 5.1 of RFC 5321 which makes it quite
clear that MX records are still optional, and any host with an A or
AAAA record might be a mail domain.

Which is a real shame. It would be very nice to assume that a domain without an MX record isn't an email domain. Too late for A records, but for AAAA records....

This is what I meant about overloading names, in your case, turning
the host name of the POP or IMAP server into a mail domain.  Without
some other hack like feedback(_at_)feedback(_dot_)<hostname> there's no way to
tell whether your mail host is prepared to accept feedback mail.

R's,
John

Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex