Re: [Asrg] UCEPROTECT's comment on draft-irtf-asrg-bcp-blacklists-07

2011-02-27 14:42:55
Dear Joe,

You wrote:

That could equally be applied to whitelists: one could have an incentive
to create bogus reasons for de-whitelisting. Of course doing so would
destroy the credibility of the whitelist. A blacklist doing the same
would destroy its own credibility as well.  Both have the same potential
problems, and potential merits.

That is absolut correct.

More importantly, both provide a business incentive to ignore negative
behavior from a paying customer.  However, that potential conflict of
interest, in both cases is just that: potential.  Disclosure rather than
a "MUST NOT" places that in the open.

As told before: Also commercial blacklists that charge for usage
have that potential conflict of interest:
If they take money from an ISP for usage of their blacklist then such a
blacklist is *VERY* unlike to list that ISP, even if said ISP is harboring
lots
of spammers.

Therefore that complete section 2.2.5.  Conflict of Interest should be
removed from the draft IMHO.

AFAIK the only at all major DNSBL that charges for removals charges for
Expedited removals only, and thats UCEPROTECT. (am I forgetting one?)
Regardless of what one thinks of their policies, philosophies or
whatever, its quality is pretty decent.  Even their default 7 day wait
is shorter than some free-delist commercial DNSBLs take to reply to a
ticket.

That is an *EXCELLENT* point, which those that disagree with our
policies mostly don't want to see.

And for the accuracy of our lists...
... I guess these numbers measured by an independent company are
speaking for themselves:

UCEPROTECT-Level 1:
http://www.intra2net.com/en/support/antispam/blacklist
php_dnsbl=RCVD_IN_UCEPROTECT1.html