Re: [Asrg] UCEPROTECT's comment on draft-irtf-asrg-bcp-blacklists-07

2011-02-27 18:39:33
TRBL Support wrote:

Here's a thought: Your business model is broken. You are charging
listees, when instead you should be charging your blacklist users
enough to cover your operating expenses. This is like giving away an
automobile for free, but then charging people after the driver hits
them. It does not make sense to me.

Really?

UCEPROTECT-Network is not a business model.
It is a free project run and sponsored in total by the UCEPROTECT-Orga.
That means we are really independent and our lists can be used by anyone
for any purpose free of charge.

Your comparison with cars is not correct and lacks simple logic.
What you are sugessting is comparable to following situation:
A city or a district authority would charge all car-owners with the fines
for
speeding because speeding accidentally can happen to anyone sometimes.
(So at least did the excuse for losers that get hacked sound to me).

What we are doing is comparable to real world examples.
We are the city or district authority and we allow usage of our roads
free of charge for all.
Those that are caught speeding get fined.

That's more real than you can imagine, because most members of the
UCEPROTECT-Orga are indeed Cities and district authorities in Germany,
Austria and Switzerland.

The fact that we are listing Spammers for 7 days can be compared
to a drivers license suspension for speeders.

If the speeder pays a fee for speeding then the ban on the license is lifted
earlier.
That is also a real life situation and it's exactly what we are doing with
Spammers..
They can pay a fee for expedited express delisting.

I think if you are charging people to get removed, you are taking
Advantage of misfortune. I understand what you mean about CAPTCHAs
Being defeated and so forth, but charging listees a fee is not the
only way to address this issue, nor is this a fair methodology to
Those who are not bad guys.

I explained it multiple times that self-removals are not a choice for us,
because Spammers will always find a way to break them.
They did it with captchas, they hired cheap persons in India and China
to delist complete ranges for them and if we would take the approach that
one can only delist the IP which one is using right now, then spammers
will program their bots to do the selfremovals.

Since no one wants to do manual delistings 24/7 free of charge and
neither we nor our users want to spend additional resources because
it doesn't matter to us, if the listee stays listed for a week, we have
chosen to let those that need an immediate removal pay for their faults.

Q.E.D. For UCEPROTECT there is no way besides the automatic and
free expiration than charging for expedited removal and letting external
persons doing that job.

Claus von Wolfhausen
Technical Director
UCEPROTECT-Network