Re: [Asrg] UCEPROTECT's comment on draft-irtf-asrg-bcp-blacklists-07

2011-02-27 16:03:55
On 02/27/2011 02:00 PM, Claus v. Wolfhausen wrote:
TRBL Support wrote:

As a counterpoint, I run a public DNSBL and I agree with the choice of
wording used in the BCP draft. Watching the history of blacklists over
the years, few things have caused more angst and accusations than
requiring a delisting fee. Even SORBS has stopped requiring such a
fee.

I never heard of the TRBLSPAM so it is very like to be not widely known.

Its rather new from what I understand. I've been using their blacklist
in spamassassin since shortly after they opened up their operation; I
have been highly pleased with the result.

[snip]

Some listees claimed that it would cost them lots of money to be listed for
a week, but they would have fixed their problem and they are so sure that
their problem is now fixed that THEY WOULD EVEN PAY FOR IT TO GET OUT
IMMEDIATLEY.

So expedited express delisting was not our invention - It was implemented
because listees were begging us to create that option.

Look, my honest opinion is probably better (from a practical and public
relations standpoint only) not to even offer it, ie make every listee
wait the full 7 days.

That said, listing and delisting criteria in general varies so much in
general, and your practical and public relations concerns impact you alone.

[snip]

I know it is hard to believe for all those that do not agree with our
policy:
Many of our users have chosen to use ourlist *BECAUSE* we are running an
hard and unforgiving course against the owners of spamming systems, no
matter they are spamming intentionally or because they got hacked.

Exactly. Regardless of how practical or impractical an approach it may
be, it only has the potential to cause lost mail for those who already
decided they want a hardline approach.

Since also no one here from this group offered to do the 24/7 Job removing
the losers free of charge for us, nothing will change at UCEPROTECT-Network
for the moment.

Good. If all blacklists held the same definitions, same policies, same
delisting procedures etc, there would be far fewer options for folks to
choose from.  Those criteria do not lend themselves well to
standardization, or even to a best practice.  The disclosures, and
technical aspects are another story of course. (OT: You would lose at
least one satisfied user if you softened up your delisting procedures.)

--
Joe Sniderman <joseph(_dot_)sniderman(_at_)thoroquel(_dot_)org>