Re: [Asrg] Getting group consensus on draft-irtf-asrg-bcp-blacklists

2011-03-01 20:05:30
On 3/1/2011 6:46 PM, Jason Bertoch wrote:
On 2011/03/01 3:28 PM, John R. Levine wrote:
Now that the kerfuffle seems to have died down, I'd like to see if we
have group rough consensus (which does not mean perfect unanimity) on
the BL best practices overview. Please read through it and say whether
you think it's OK, or if not, what specific language to change.

I still find myself stuck on 2.2.5.  It needs to be removed or changed to not
pick on negative-reputation lists.

As this BCP already describes, many (most?) DNSBL's are used as part of an
overall scoring system, rather than just at the MTA level.  As such, removal
from a negative-reputation list generally has the same net effect as addition
to a positive-reputation list.  (Actually, ReturnPath is considered quite
favorably in SpamAssassin.)  Any arguments against paid removal from a neg-rep
list can be equally applied to paid addition to a pos-rep list.

The BCP describes that they _can_ be used in an overall scoring system. Everything I've seen seems to indicate that the majority of use isn't scoring. The very largest environments don't, for example.

One of the crux arguments here is why negative-reputation lists are being "picked on".

After all, isn't blacklist removal the same as whitelist addition?

Mathmatically, at least in scoring, of course, they are the same.

But, that's where the similarity ends. They are worlds apart ethically, legally and practically. Just as Steve Atkins said.

We need to see the big picture here.

I don't want to dwell too long on the ethical/legal issues too much, other than to point out that charging a fee for not saying/stop saying something bad about someone meets at least a general definition of extortion or blackmail.

Whereas charging someone to say something good is just ordinary advertising.

The former is paying to undo the reputational damage someone did without invitation (and perhaps without justification), the latter is to improve the reputation voluntarily.

Of course, there are many reasons where payment for delisting generally won't meet legal definitions of extortion or blackmail, not to mention the CDA's protections, but (a) those are largely jurisdictionally dependent and (b) it really doesn't matter for practical reasons. Those same practical reasons apply in edge-case.

Practical reasons? They abound. Throughout my involvement in many portions of the industry, it's clear:

1) Providers of all types & stripes simply won't deal with DNSBLs they believe to be unethical. I see comments like that from very large providers almost every day. Many others on this list frequent the same places I do, and see them as well. Good responsive providers who remediate other DNSBL listings quickly and effectively simply refuse to have anything to do with the perceived "unethical" ones. They don't fix problems, they don't educate users, they encourage people to ignore them.

2) Many organizations simply won't use DNSBLs they believe to be unethical.

3) Paying for delist, while it might not make a great deal of difference in overall effectiveness if the DNSBL is good enough to redetect and relist quickly, many DNSBLs are not, and can massively impair accuracy. Not to mention legal problems if you're not really careful about what the payment actually buys the listee.

4) (1) and (2) are very significant factors, and they in turn lead to:
   a) Real spamming problems don't get resolved, and they continue
      unabated.
   b) False positives don't get resolved, and they continue unabated.
   c) Uptake of a DNSBL is reduced, their usefuless declines.
   d) The bad reputation of an individual DNSBL inevitably leaks to the
      mechanism as a whole (just see IETF diatribes for example).
   e) providers don't educate their users what they're doing wrong
   f) DNSBLs get screamed at for unethical behaviour...
   g) DNSBLs scream back...
   h) everybody acts like children...

These are all bad for the receivers of email and the industry as a whole.

5) For the most part, a blacklist hit is more likely to have a negative effect on delivery than a whitelist hit having a positive one.

I'm sure you're scratching your head with this one. The reality is that application of whitelisting in an overall receiver-advantageous way is far more difficult than applying blacklisting, and the results of getting it wrong can be far more obvious. huh? (again ;-). _Few_ people apply whitelists (or at least 3rd party ones) as "allow everything through", because it's too dangerous - you allow viruses/malware or contra-policy material in for example. Application of whitelisting properly is a delicate operation. In scoring systems, they tend to have small positive scores, whereas many individual blacklists have large negative ones. Or they don't score at all, and DNSWLs only apply to _parts_ of the filters. Etc.

Example: in our system, our local DNSWL can get you past any DNSBL listings - but not the ancilliary string filters, SpamAssassin or ClamAV. 3rd party DNSWLs have _slight_ positive scores in our DNSBL engine. They can get you past one DNSBL listing, but not two.

6) Hankypanky/sloppiness with whitelisting is usually much easier to spot - complaints jump, and if they correlate with a whitelist... Yes, receivers watch these things closely and take action.

{RSK: you asked for an example. I've got a good one. Email me and I'll tell you. But it's not for public consumption.]

7) "Express" and "charity" - in the end, the distinction doesn't matter for (1) or (2). Proof? They don't in real life.

Missing the distinction is, of course, probably wrong, but distinction or not, the results are the same.

They haven't mattered with UCEProtect or SORBS. Consider: UCEProtect has been around for a while. Some of their lists are relatively useful. Claus just said they "protect" 2.5M users. That isn't a lot. In fact, it's tiny. Other DNSBLs without these problems have _individual_ users that are 2 orders of magnitude larger. It's not the only reason of course, but it's one of them. The effect isn't so severe with SORBS, but I do think it's fair to suggest that they would have evolved further without it.

Personally, I don't think "express delist for a fee" or "donation" are all that bad. But in the end, that subtlety is lost, and all the practical harm acrues anyway.

In the end: other DNSBLs have thought long and hard about this for years. Consider, for example, the universal condemnation of this practise from every DNSBL (with the obvious exception of UCEProtect) that's said something here. Notice that SORBS agreed with the BCP. Consider for example, the lengths to which the CBL distances itself from this practice in its FAQ. Witness what deliverability experts say about them. ISPs. Etc.

All of my experience indicates that the consequences of this are so severe that it's best for _everyone_ to stay as far clear of it as possible. This is one of those cases where an "appearance of impropriety" is just as bad as just plain "impropriety".

Perhaps something will come along to change that. I doubt it. But it ain't all that hard to draft a successor document and change it. Better to get the stake driven in (thanks Rich for the imagery ;-)