Re: [Asrg] Last chance: Getting group consensus on draft-irtf-asrg-bcp-blacklists

2011-03-02 15:29:12
- After the previous round (just after 07 was released), John and I
thought that there were two minor wording revisions that would be worth
making - in the introduction as I recall.  I think one of them was
finessing some wording about non-DNS distribution.  Nothing to do with
dos or don'ts (capitalized or not ;-).  Do you remember that John?
Haven't found it in a quick scan of my mailbox.

After greppage (accent on the last syllable) I found a few things:

* At the end of 1.1, say something about why DNS and note that there
  are other distrubution methods than DNS, notably rsync

* Add a forward reference from 2.2.2 (about response contact blocking) to
advanced planning in the face of DDoS (3.2).  Either that, or a simple
sentence about being able to change contact process in case of need.

For the former, perhaps add:

 The DNS has been the most popular distrubution method for DNSBLs due
 to its ubiquity and its good scaling and performance characteristics.
 It is also common to make private arrangements to distribute DNSBL
 data in bulk to high volume users, typically by rsync [ref].  The data
 is the same in either case, the the recommendations in this document
 apply regardless of distribution method, other than the ones in
 Sections 3.1-3.2 that specifically refer to DNS distribution.

R's,
John