Re: [ietf-dkim] A more fundamental SSP axiom

2006-08-04 16:08:00
John L wrote:

I cannot see how SSP can do anything but make false positives more likely. The real question is whether the gain in eliminating harmful mail is worth the occassional false positive. So if what you are saying is true, law firms would be literally nuts to turn SSP "I sign everything" on, and so I'm surprised to hear that you think they should.

At the moment, I agree with you. Considering the value of the messages, I'm surprised we don't see more fake mail saying that a case has been dismissed or a hearing postponed. If that happened, the answer might be different.

Ah, that sounds a *lot* more like they want whitelists than SSP. In any case, if that became prevalent you wouldn't want the defaultish disposition of "I sign everything" to be reject. There would be far too high a risk for a false positive if what you're saying is true. The best you could hope for is to hope all of your whitelisted domains get through mostly unscathed and then slavishly go through the potentially spoofed ones, mostly likely with wetware. This is, of course, a
hard problem and DKIM is only likely to go so far as to help it.

      Mike