Re: [ietf-dkim] "I sign everything" is not a useful policy

2006-08-05 22:07:54
Bill,

Actually, IMV, the POLICY is the easiest part because that is already define
by the potential DKIM-BASE may exhibit.

It will be the engineering to get it done properly that may ultimately tell
us of the feasbiliity of it all which I am 100% capability of accepting way
away or another.

No, I don't think it is hardr at all. The possible policies are fixed.

Where did that come from anyway? "I sign all mail"  That isn't in SSP DRAFT,
in fact the SSP says for the o= tag:

 o= Outbound signing policy for the entity (plain-text; OPTIONAL,
    default is "~").  Possible values are as follows:

    ~  The entity signs some but not all email.

    -  All mail from the entity is signed; unsigned email MUST NOT be
       accepted, but email signed with a Verifier Acceptable Third
       Party Signature SHOULD be accepted.

    !  All mail from the entity is signed; Third-Party signatures
       SHOULD NOT be accepted

    .  This entity never sends email.  The "." policy can be used to
       "short circuit" searches from subdomains; for example, the
       "ad.jp" domain might use this.  If an initial policy search
       receives this policy then the email SHOULD NOT be accepted; if
       found while searching parent domains then the search should
       terminate as though no policy record was found.

    ^  Repeat query at user level.  This value MUST NOT be used in
       user-level policy records.  A Verifier MUST look up the
       selector for "<user>._policy" where <user> is the local-part of
       the Originator Address (i.e., the portion of the address before
       the "@" character).

These is the SEMANTICS people should be debating.

Once you think about the engineering to statisfy these requirement,
including problems from a security standpoint, the loopholes, etc, then you
see my position better and why DSAP was done.

There is alot of time being wasted here by people who saying they don't
understand and then suggest it is the status quo, therefore lets water it
down without thinking about the security implications which are pretty
major.  No, it is extremely simple yet powerful concept.  The issue?  It is
feasible. Can it work? What will it take to work?  Is there a revamp and/or
migration issue here? etc.   No, the policies are simple.

In short, watering it down make be as bad as having nothing at all.