Re: [ietf-dkim] The problem with sender policy

2006-08-06 13:38:57
> It's true, I don't, and I've been trying to figure out why not.  It
> finally came to me: senders are not the right people to judge their
> own importance.

In my view, SSP is not a "judgement of one's own importance". It's simply an advertisement to others through which some assessment of authenticity might be usefully gleaned and potentially used. I see nothing self-absorbed or arrogant in providing that advertisement. To the contrary, I see it as useful to the email community at large.

> When I think of SSP records saying dump mail if it's not signed, I see
> a bunch of tiny gorillas*, beating their teensy chests and saying in
> high squeaky voices, "Beware, oh Internet, of the Scourge of Criminals
>  attempting to forge the image of my Inestimable Personage, and do not
> DARE to be fooled by these Base Mockeries of Communication!"

First, SSP doesn't say "dump mail if it's not signed" -- that might be an outcome but that's up to the receiver and needn't be an SSP mandate. Second, if one ignores the irrelevance of words like "teensy" and "high squeaky voices" etc it becomes apparent that every gorilla (regardless of size) has the right (and duty) to protect his domain from abuse as far as possible.

--
Arvel