Re: [ietf-dkim] How to reconcile passive vs active?

2006-08-07 09:18:46

Mark Delany wrote:
The question is whether there is a useful subset of domains that want
a "strong" policy.

All indications on this list are that a good number of us think "yes",

That's helpful, but probably not enough.

We still need to understand why such specification is essential to the
specification and why we believe it will work.

To repeat:

1. I suspect the syntax is the same, and certainly suspect we need not focus
on
possible differences.

2. I think that the passive/active difference involves a superset/subset
relationship.  That is, I think that the active begins with the statements
made
in the passive mode, about the sender/signer, but extends them to tell the
evaluator how to use those statements.

3. If #2 is correct, then my question is why the extended semantics are
essential?  What problems are created by not including them in the
specification?  What substantial benefits are obtained by including them?

d/

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking