Re: [ietf-dkim] How to reconcile passive vs active?

2006-08-07 11:24:40

Steve Atkins wrote:
From my perspective, the number needn't be small at all.  Small
organizations with their own mail processing infrastructure can with
Even when it decreases overall deliverability? That is to say, causes
legitimate email to be treated as forgeries and, likely, discarded.

I can see cases where that's going to be an appropriate tradeoff, but I
don't think they're as widespread as some people think.

We need to find a way to discuss the design choices so that we are not faced
with a bevy of personal prognostications about the likelihood of particular
outcomes.  Most, if not all, of us will be wrong.

Rather:

Do we see a clear and compelling benefit for a design choice being proposed?

Is it substantially better than some other choice being proposed?

Do we see an absence of significant detriments? (Complexity, scaling,
performance, reliability, etc.)

Do we see a clear and substantial base of users/organizations for the choice
NOW?

Only then might we consider adding a guess about the size of the population from
which this sample of adopting users/organization is taken.

Debating whether my sample is bigger than yours is certain to be unproductive.

d/
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking