Re: [ietf-dkim] user level ssp

2006-09-06 11:47:56
On 9/6/06, Douglas Otis <dotis(_at_)mail-abuse(_dot_)org> wrote:

On Sep 6, 2006, at 10:14 AM, Michael Thomas wrote:

> All of this talk about additional requirements for user level ssp
> ignores the basic question: should there be any requirements for
> user level SSP at all? If so, what are the use cases? I'm not
> terribly convinced that even that has consensus -- this is the
> first that I even recall the subject being raised.

When a large financial institution wishes to have a specific email-
address receive added assurances via annotations, then having a means
to include these addresses within policy satisfies this desire
without specific arrangements made separately with each verifier.
The current strategies for financial institutions require an
assertion that _all_ messages be signed.  Not all messages from a
large domain warrant receiving annotations of added assurances
however.  Having a means to convey which email-address warrants this
annotation can be accomplished via policy.

Rather than a direct translation into a DNS label, a base32 encoding
of a SHA-1 hash ensures long local-parts, UTF-8, and subaddress
symbols can be handled by this scheme. (SHA-256 could be used, but
there does not seem to be a need for this extreme.)

-Doug

+1

Regards,
Damon Sauer