Re: tree walking (was - Re: [ietf-dkim] user level ssp)

2006-09-06 16:21:12
william(at)elan.net wrote:

On Wed, 6 Sep 2006, Jim Fenton wrote:

The aspect of user-level SSP that concerns me equally is the transaction
load.  When user-level SSP is "turned on", the verifier MUST query for a
user-level record in addition to the domain-level record.  User-level
queries are not as effectively cached, since these are queries for
individual addresses, not domains.

Actually your tree-walking in general is what's most troublesome to me.
This is what would cause the most problems and most extra queries and
cache misses (I know NXDOMAIN can be cached but don't assume you can
rely on it). And I don't think this will fly during last-call and/or
when DNS folks see this.
The tree-walking issue (separate from the user-level SSP) issue has
concerned me too.  The allman-dkim-ssp-02 draft has it down to 2 queries
-- much improved from the previous revision, in part because of the use
of a separate RR.

-Jim