Re: [ietf-dkim] what is a standard, was errata revision: Assessor

2009-03-26 14:45:30
Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:

Sorry, but vendors do not have this luxury.  You would be in conflict
with your operators and customers desires to implement, enable and/or
disable what they want and not what you or I want.

Your customers don't seek or accept any guidance from you?

Of course.

We simple can not dictate to others or even suggest not to use SPF or
another technology and replace with DKIM especially when it hasn't
really proven to have a payoff.

Sorry, I disagree.  Vendors, especially those who have been involved in
this for a long time, are in a prime position to provide appropriate
guidance and influence.

25+ years in the mail business myself. Should give me some confidence
in expressing what I feel.

And at least from where I'm sitting, a
substantial portion of the customer base is at least listening to what
we tell them.  And sometimes "customer" is itself referring to a large
and influential ISP.

I agree. Customers follow your lead.  However, we can't tell them:

         "Oh btw, SPF sucks!  Don't use it."

So yes, when I read those comments, the eyes are rolling.

I have no doubt *you* think the ideas are absurd.

Not absurd but silly. I was referring to the yet another useless SPF
sucks reference that gets us no way.

But please stop speaking for all SMTP vendors,

Murray, I am not speaking for ALL SMTP vendors, nor did I say I was.
I believe SMTP developers are more keen to accepting SPF then
operators who are bent on accepting all mail and using reputation
based services.   With all speak in generality in ways to attempts
represent a common idea, maybe nor yours, but others.

because I for one think you're
exaggerating, and have experience to the contrary.

Exaggerating what specifically? and what does that mean "experience to
the contrary?"  If I think I know what you mean, I hope you don't "go
there."

Perhaps some other vendors would like to weigh in.

The question is whether DKIM is to replace any IP technology,
specifically SPF.

Murray, you are going to get different view points.  The fact of the
matter there are MILLIONS of systems using it.  It isn't going to go away.

Anyway, the point is MOST SMTP vendors are in the business of provide
CHOICE not LIMITING it.

Are you not in that business?

--
Sincerely