Re: [ietf-dkim] Features that could be reconsidered as part of the bis process

2009-05-21 11:50:19

Eliot Lear wrote:
On 5/21/09 4:45 PM, Dave CROCKER wrote:
I think the point is that you can't make assertions of responsibility
for the information beyond l=.

Eliot,

But with respect to "assertions" about a message, DKIM only has
valid-vs-unsigned.

There is no concept of "responsibility for information behond l=".

 That was always the implication, right?

It is no where in the specification and I believe it never was.

So now you're a mail firewall and you see lots of URLs tagged at the
end, with nobody asserting responsibility.  That's an indicator that
there is a problem.  What one does with that problem is well beyond the
scope of DKIM, but one could easily see several different courses of action:

Now you inventing behaviors that go far beyond the specification.

If such behaviors are necessary to make l= meaningful and useful -- and your
line of frankly reasonable thinking does seem to imply this, though I doubt it
was your intention -- then the specification for this bit of mechanism is
seriously deficient.

d/
--

   Dave Crocker