Re: [ietf-dkim] Features that could be reconsidered as part of the bis process

2009-05-20 18:22:28
On Wed, 20 May 2009, Steve Atkins wrote:
Another use case is to use l= to sign a text part of an email, but not
to sign an attachment. In that case I can obviously replace the
attachment with my own content, but depending on the details of the
email structure I may well be able to replace the text section as
rendered to the user as well.

Indeed, Outlook will opt to render an HTML part over a text part whenever
given the choice.  Thus, if you sign only the text/plain portion of a
message and an attacker appends a text/html part, the unsigned HTML
version will be rendered even if completely different from the text/plain
part, and DKIM would give that a thumbs-up.