Re: [ietf-dkim] signing on behalf of someone else

2009-10-04 00:16:47
I would like cox.com<http://cox.com/> to sign on behalf of a customer
a.com<http://a.com/> to z.com<http://z.com/> so
a checker would lookup a.com<http://a.com/> and see that the
cox.com<http://cox.com/> is the
authorized signer on behalf of z.com<http://z.com/>

Keeping in mind that each DKIM signature ties a message to a domain,
so that recipients can apply a the domain's reputation to all of the
signed messages, it's still not clear to me which of these two things
you mean:

A) Mail from a.com is signed by a.com and mail from z.com is signed by
z.com, so each domain has its own reputation, and Cox's involvement is
just administrative.  If a.com moves to another provider, it takes its
signing reputation with it.

B) Cox extends its reputation umbrella over all its customers that all
the mail from a.com and z.com shares the presumably superior
reputation that Cox has developed for cox.com.  If a.com moves
somewhere else, it has to start over developing a reputation or hope
its new provider will offer a similar umbrella.

Which of these do you have in mind?  (They're not exclusive, but I get
the impression you mean one or the other.)  Since DKIM has a
straightforward way to do either or both, what prevents you from using
the methods that DKIM provides now?

R's,
John