Re: [ietf-dkim] DKIM charter update proposal

2009-10-05 12:55:24
-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org [mailto:ietf-dkim-
bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Barry Leiba
Sent: Monday, October 05, 2009 6:56 AM
To: Franck Martin
Cc: IETF DKIM WG
Subject: Re: [ietf-dkim] DKIM charter update proposal

DKIM might or might not get to full Internet Standard, but that's not
what we're aiming at now.  We do want to collect the data Franck is
talking about, and we are doing so.  And if there's consensus to put
that in the charter, I'm happy to do so (so far, only Franck has asked
for it).  But it's not a prerequisite for moving to Draft Standard.
On the other hand, it's entirely possible that moving to Draft
Standard is a prerequisite for getting the wide-spread deployment
needed to see the real usefulness.

It seems to me based on my own experience that the turning point for adoption
is not the progression from proposed standard to draft standard, but the
issuance of an RFC (which has already happened).  Public perception appears to
be that when an RFC comes out, the protocol is no longer in flux and is thus
"safe" or "worth it" to implement.

So I don't believe that moving DKIM to draft standard will mean there's a big
surge in adoption, thus allowing statistics to be gathered.  I think the next
big surge of adoption will occur when something extremely useful, like domain
reputation, is built on top of DKIM.