Re: [ietf-dkim] DKIM charter update proposal

2009-10-18 14:00:35
At 08:54 18-10-2009, Barry Leiba wrote:
Coming back to this: I've still seen very little direct input on the

[snip]

 The previously chartered deliverables for the DKIM working group
 have been completed:

There has been a lot of discussion of these deliverables after the
RFCs were published.  Reinterpretation of the specifications can only
lead to confusion and has a negative influence on implementation and
deployment.

 The working group is now ready to switch its focus to refining and
 advancing the DKIM protocols.  The current deliverables for the
 DKIM working group are these:

 * Advance the base DKIM protocol (RFC 4871) to Draft Standard.

The base DKIM protocol is updated by RFC 5672.  In my opinion RFC
4871 cannot be advanced to Draft Standard status without RFC 5672.

 * Collect data on the deployment and interoperability of the
   Author Domain Signing Practices protocol (RFC 5617), and
   determine if/when it's ready to advance on the standards track.
   Update it at Proposed Standard or advance it to Draft Standard,
   as appropriate.

I cannot support advancing RFC 5617 to Draft Standard.  The message
posted by one of the WG Chairs at
http://mipassoc.org/pipermail/ietf-dkim/2009q4/012747.html summarizes
why I don't think that it is useful to have the discussion.

Regards,
-sm