Re: [ietf-dkim] third party signing, DKIM charter update proposal

2009-10-05 15:15:55
John Levine wrote:
In light of the comments by Bill Oxley and my belief that the ability of
a domain to designate signing by a specified 3rd party is useful, I'd
like to see this included in the update. I believe this would be useful
for ISPs as well as ESPs. I don't have any specific wording or proposals
on this.

If you want to do that, please start with a clear explanation of the
reasons that the current methods to delegate signing to a third
party are unusable.

Yes, and please also explore the scaling characteristics of such a
scheme.  It's one thing to say that isp.com signs for a.com or z.com,
but this would also need to support the third party signers of a large
enterprise domain, like maybe cisco.com.  I don't know how many we have,
but there are lots:  benefits providers, events organizers, online
survey providers, and senders of various marketing campaigns.  Not to
mention, possibly, mailing list domains.  Whatever third-party signer
list is supported needs to support an effectively unbounded list of
third-party signers for some domains.

In addition, I foresee a problem with publishing such a list, in that it
would very conveniently show who we use for various services, which is
in the aggregate proprietary information.  At the very least it might be
viewed as an endorsement on the part of the domain being signed, which
the legal people won't like.

-Jim