Re: [ietf-dkim] list vs contributor signatures, was Wrong Discussion

2010-06-02 07:50:59

On 6/2/2010 4:46 AM, Ian Eiloart wrote:
--On 28 May 2010 13:26:28 -0700 Dave CROCKER<dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net>
wrote:
On 5/28/2010 12:07 PM, Jeff Macdonald wrote:
But I'd like to see if I understand the difference your are trying to
highlight between a manually maintained list and a self published
list.

There is a key semantic difference which, I believe, makes for a key
difference  in utility.

Actually, the difference is less than you think. It's quite possible to
combine both models.

You do not discuss "combining" the models.  You discuss a tool that supports
both.  Juggling two things is not the same as combining them.

In any event, the scope of this working group does not include design of
filtering engines.  It stops with providing filtering engines additional
information.

My previous point was -- and remains -- that the fundamental semantics of
self-published information about a signer is entirely different from assessment
information about that signer that is published by someone else.  No software
design eliminates that difference.

Effectively, you're applying your own domain reputation system, and using
SPF or DKIM published information to make the reputations more usable.

That's not a "reputation" system.  It's possibly useful information, but it's
not "reputation" as the term is typically used in the industry.

d/
--

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking