Re: [ietf-dkim] list vs contributor signatures, was Wrong Discussion

2010-06-02 14:59:02

-----Original Message-----
From: John R. Levine [mailto:johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 02, 2010 3:38 PM
To: MH Michael Hammer (5304)
Cc: DKIM List
Subject: RE: [ietf-dkim] list vs contributor signatures, was Wrong
Discussion

I can't help myself. This image of John sitting at a desk with his
quill
and inkwell manually maintaining his credible list by the light of a
whale oil lamp keeps popping into my minds eye. How scalable is that
list John?

If ye towne cryer dost distribute such a liste to manye and divers
mail
servers, as scalable as ye do wante.

This addresses distribution of the list, not maintaining the list. Ye
olde add/change/delete issue. And of course there is the question of
whether folks will trust (the generic) you as widely as a solid
standards based approach for self-publication.

I agree it would be useful to have a way to discover whose mail is
signed
and usefully discardable.  But there's little reason to think that
self-publication along the lines of ADSP will do it successfully.

There's little reason to think it won't. Time wounds all heels. As I've
said before, I believe ADSP is crippled.... intentionally so. There were
compromises of various sorts in order to be able to get the document
out. One need only look at the discussions around SSP drafts 1- I think
it was 13 or so).  Could it be fixed? Possibly. Will it be fixed?
Doubtful. It is unlikely that there will be sufficient will or consensus
from this working group for such an effort to be successful.

Mike