Re: [ietf-dkim] list vs contributor signatures, was Wrong Discussion

2010-06-02 15:04:04

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org [mailto:ietf-dkim-
bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Dave CROCKER
Sent: Wednesday, June 02, 2010 3:48 PM
To: Brett McDowell
Cc: ietf-dkim(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [ietf-dkim] list vs contributor signatures, was Wrong
Discussion

On 6/2/2010 11:29 AM, Brett McDowell wrote:
ADSP seems to mean one thing to pundits and something else to the
people
actually using it.  Who is right?

Recent experience suggests that they often don't.

Can you name someone with ADSP experience who doesn't understand
what it
means?

Since we've been seeing reports of breakage due to using ADSP records
for
domains that are not under sufficient control, it is clear that some
fraction of
the ADSP-using world does not understand what it is for, or at least
what
its
limitations are.

If we apply this to other standards (SMTP, DNS, HTTP, etc) we would just
have to power down the whole internet. The best that we can do is come
up with something that makes a modicum of sense, fix things we didn't
anticipate or understand because we needed operational experience and
move on.

There will always be some fraction of the user/implementer base that
won't understand protocols, standards or RFCs. It kind of goes with the
territory.

Mike