[ietf-dkim] ADSP intent vs. usage (was Re: list vs contributor signatures, was Wrong Discussion)

2010-06-02 17:20:39
On Jun 2, 2010, at 1:26 PM, John R. Levine wrote:

Recent experience suggests that they often don't.
Can you name someone with ADSP experience who doesn't understand what it
means?

Not to pick on you specifically, since there are multiple examples, but
I'd say that domains that publish dkim=discardable and who let their users
subscribe and send messages to mailing lists don't understand what their
ADSP is telling people.

Perhaps another way to put it is that they're not using ADSP discardable in the
way that ADSP's designers intended.  This appears to present two options, both
of which have been attempted in this thread:

1. assume that the domain owner is wrong
2. assume that the ADSP design is wrong

I think there's also a third option, which I haven't seen explored in depth yet
(though I may have missed it):

3. find out why the domain owner thought that their implementation would be okay

--
J.D. Falk <jdfalk(_at_)returnpath(_dot_)net>
Return Path Inc