Re: [ietf-dkim] ADSP and Discardable (was Re: Lists "BCP" draft review)

2010-06-02 17:24:47
On Jun 2, 2010, at 10:55 AM, John R. Levine wrote:

My guess is that the phrase "the domain encourages the recipient(s) to
discard it" is intended to refer to a silent discard.

I don't think any of us expected the recipient to send a notification.  I
certainly didn't, since the assumption would be that the message was
probably from a hostile sender.

+1

Also, there's documented precedent within the IETF.  RFC 863 has a clear
definition: "A discard service simply throws away any data it receives."  RFC
5321 (and 2821, and 821) applied that definition to email, with specifics for
programmers:

2.3.6.  Buffer and State Table

   SMTP sessions are stateful, with both parties carefully maintaining a
   common view of the current state.  In this document, we model this
   state by a virtual "buffer" and a "state table" on the server that
   may be used by the client to, for example, "clear the buffer" or
   "reset the state table", causing the information in the buffer to be
   discarded and the state to be returned to some previous state.

5321 uses "discard" or "discarded" in other places, too.

--
J.D. Falk <jdfalk(_at_)returnpath(_dot_)net>
Return Path Inc