Re: [ietf-dkim] ADSP and Discardable (was Re: Lists "BCP" draft review)

2010-06-02 10:55:48

--On 2 June 2010 10:48:03 -0400 "John R. Levine" <johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com>
wrote:

given the recent discussions, it seems to me that people want to have a
definition of what 'discard' means in the context as described above. As
a  non-native English speaker (or what's the right term?) I suppose (but
am not  sure) the word 'discard' can have multiple meanings (apart from
'To throw  away'). Otherwise 'silently discard' would be a pleonasm,
isn't it?

Your English is fine.  "Discard" means throw away.

And, to "silently discard" is to discard without informing anyone. It
means, for example, that you don't also generate a bounce message, or a
notification to the recipient.

My guess is that the phrase "the domain encourages the recipient(s) to
discard it" is intended to refer to a silent discard. Otherwise it would
say "bounce" (which I take to mean "discard and notify the sender).
"Bounce" is an unlikely recommendation, since most people don't like to
bounce messages of uncertain origin these days. I guess you might bounce if
it you had an SPF pass.

R's,
John

Ian Eiloart