[ietf-dkim] 1st 2nd 3rd Party Signatures

2010-09-15 11:20:46
McDowell, Brett wrote:

BTW, one thing I think we can agree on and find value from
in these pre-deployment email discussions is terminology.  I ran
into a problem at the last MAAWG during a panel discussion where
my understanding of "3rd-party signature" is what someone else meant
by "2nd-party signature".  What is the real definitions of
"1st-party", "2nd-party" and "3rd-party" signatures in the context
of DKIM and ADSP, i.e. in the context of i= and d= and from: values?

Brett,

I can't speak of how "2nd party" is used within DKIM framework, but
you can  review RFC 5016 with defines the terminologies for POLICY.

                      Requirements for a
     DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM) Signing Practices Protocol

              http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5016

2.  Definitions and Requirements Language

    o  Domain Holder: the entity that controls the contents of the DNS
       subtree starting at the domain, either directly or by delegation
       via NS records it controls.

    o  First Party Address: for DKIM, a first party address is defined to
       be the [RFC2822].From address in the message header; a first party
       address is also known as an Author address.

    o  First Party Signature: a first party signature is a valid
       signature where the signing identity (the d= tag or the more
       specific identity i= tag) matches the first party address.
       "Matches" in this context is defined in [RFC4871].

    o  Third Party Signature: a third party signature is a valid
       signature that does not qualify as a first party signature.  Note
       that a DKIM third party signature is not required to correspond to
       a header field address such as the contents of Sender or List-Id,
       etc.

    o  Practice: a statement according to the [RFC2822].From domain
       holder of externally verifiable behavior in the email messages it
       sends.

    o  Expectation: an expectation combines with a practice to convey
       what the domain holder considers the likely survivability of the
       practice for a receiver, in particular receivers that may be more
       than one SMTP hop away.

    o  DKIM Signing Complete: a practice where the domain holder asserts
       that all legitimate mail will be sent with a valid first party
       signature.

--
Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com