Re: [ietf-dkim] Who signs what

2010-09-16 11:18:28

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org [mailto:ietf-dkim-
bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of John R. Levine
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2010 10:20 AM
To: Bill(_dot_)Oxley(_at_)cox(_dot_)com
Cc: DKIM List
Subject: Re: [ietf-dkim] Who signs what

we can discuss it for the very reason you pointed out, people want
use/sell 3rd party signing, so lets discuss a policy and write it
up.

People should be free to use/sell 3rd party signing but that is outside
the scope of DKIM/ADSP by intent. I would urge people to go back and
read the archives. There was a (hard won) consensus that a signature by
the owner/admin of a domain carries more weight than the signature of a
3rd party because the owner/admin of the domain controls the domain and
the 3rd party doesn't. (DOH!) We also discussed the practicality of
making assertions authorizing 3rd party signing and decided to kick the
can down the road until there was more practical experience with DKIM
usage generally and 3rd party signing specifically. I'm not going to go
through the archives to find the specific threads but they are there.

But this is DKIM.  If you want to sign something, sign it.  You don't
need
anyone's permission.  If you want to generally endorse a list of
signers,
we have VBR for that.

+1

If anyone thinks there is value in A publishing a statement that they
like
it when B signs mail which has A on the From: line, write up an I-D.
Personally, I don't see any value, since I'll develop my opinion about
B's
signatures regardless of what A says about them, but I suppose I might
be
missing something.

Sounds like more of a marketing issue than a technical issue to me.

Mike