Re: [ietf-dkim] Who signs what

2010-09-16 10:34:22

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave CROCKER [mailto:dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net]
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2010 11:26 AM
To: MH Michael Hammer (5304)
Cc: Bill Oxley; DKIM List
Subject: Re: [ietf-dkim] Who signs what

On 9/16/2010 7:31 AM, MH Michael Hammer (5304) wrote:
People should be free to use/sell 3rd party signing but that is
outside
the scope of DKIM/ADSP by intent.

This is a technical group, writing technical specifications.  So we
need
to be
extremely careful in being accurate in how we describe things.

By its definition, ADSP targets the author's domain (in the From:
field.)
This
means that ADSP cannot be used for other domains.

However DKIM says nothing about any other field, author or otherwise.
It
is
equally happy with 1st-, 2nd-, 3rd-, and nth- party signatures.  And
/that/
really is by intent.  (It always was the major enhancement of DKIM
over
Domainkeys.)

ADSP is not DKIM. It relies on it, but it goes far beyond it.

DKIM does not require or expect ADSP.

You said DKIM/ADSP. The implication is that the constraint you cited
is
relevant
to DKIM.  But it isn't.  It's relevant (and in fact essential) only to
ADSP.

d/

You are absolutely correct Dave. My intent was to communicate the
combination of DKIM and ADSP (or ADSP layered on top of DKIM if you
will).

Mike